Logo

50Hp 80's Johnson Bogging down at half throttle foreward help!

WilmaD1

Hi all, fairly new to all of this and wondering if someone could give an opinion on what to do.
Right, so we have a 50hp Johnson. Recently replaced the kill switch circuit (because someone had cut it out meaning that even removing the key from the ignition didn't stop it). It hadn't been run for 18 months or so. Took it out for the first time the other day on an 18ft dory. It revved up fine in foreward and got on the plain and was going very very nicely for half the day! In reverse it was hitting a good rate of rpm aswell. For the second half of the day, we turned the engine on and suddenly it would rev about halfway (not get on the plain, only do 8 knots or so) and the engine sounded all bogged down. The revs would flutter up and down on their own. In reverse, it revved high as before in the same was as it used to rev in foreward. Now I would accept answers of load and prop normally but it was plaining at high revs and now it only Boggs down and sounds like the engine is being overloaded with fuel. When it isn't in gear it revs all the way up as it should too. I took the boat out a few days later and exactly the same thing happened. Reverse still going strong though!
It is a two stroke with model no: J50BEL CNR
I was thinking it may need spark plugs as when more fuel goes in it may not be burning and getting bogged?
Many thanks to all who reply and can help!

Basics first. Do a compression test and a spark test. Spark should jump a 7/16" open air gap on a tester.

Okay perfect I'll have that done this evening, could anyone tell me the fuel/oil mix too? Seen mixed opinions on this. Many thanks in advance!

Sitting for 18 mos....I would look for crap/trash in the main jets. I know you said it was OK for a short while...but still 18 mos sitting is a long time to
expect the carbs not to foul up.
Another possibility is water in the fuel.
Fuel mix is 50:1, which for example, is one pint oil to six gallons of gas.

Okay I'll have it off tomorrow, take it apart and soak it over night then blow it out. I've also replaced the plugs today and it revs all the way up as it should, just as it did before. Going out on it on Sunday and at least if I start it with brand new fuel and oil, a clean carb and plugs, it'll rule some things out it it still doesn't work. Thanks for the fuel ratio info too!

I will put a photo on soon of a part that isn't attatched and is wobbling off, to see if anyone can help me see what it is and if it's causing any issues too :)

"attached and wobbling off" ???? WTF?

If it is the timing linkage...that's your problem. Save some work...don't touch the carb yet.
Get that pic up before you do anything.

It's an almost square shape, 1mm thick piece of metal, with a cut out in the middle that is, I believe it is part 22 on the below link, 'manual choke level for upper carb'
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...SL75B&manufacturer=Johnson&section=Carburetor
The choke still works on the controls (where you lift the paddle up) however part 22 is still not connected to anything and is just sat there. Would this cause anything? I believe the timing linkage to be fine, if I just check the timing will it confirm this?

Well...at first look, I would say NO it won't cause your problem.
But, maybe. With engine off, operate controls, full WOT, and watch very carefully to see that you are getting the throttle butterflies to be absolutely horizontal with the throat of the carbs.
Also make sure this flopping piece doesn't jam anything from moving.

So this isn't an 80's 50 hp? I see the pic is showing a 75 carb....

Yeah the diagram was just one I found with a similar part - it isn't a matching diagram just similar. So this evening, I'm checking the timing, using fresh fuel and compression testing, then fully
cleaning the carb. Can anyone add anything to this list at all?

from first thread "It is a two stroke with model no: J50BEL CNRread , " makes it a Johnson 50 Belgium derated, electric start, 1982,

Last edited:
Back