Logo

2001 200hp ocean pro wont turn over/Tach goin crazy

wally5589

Boat ran great last weekend

this past day started, smoked sounded good at the dock warming up,smoke stops etc

went to go in gear was making a clunking sound like 1/2 way in gear??? forward and reverse

floated awy from the dock, she started a couple more times after "bogging down" me turning off due to not good "sounds"...never started again

floated back to dock, took her home,,,,,went to clean ,flush.....Tachometer goes haywire when I try to start, and the engine barely tries to turn over.

sure the foot/gears need work now,,,,,,,,,,but the engine to???

Thanks

Remove the lower unit.

If the powerhead turns over normally now, you can connect a garden hose directly to the copper water intake tube and check out the engine's performance.

In all probability, from what you've had to say, the lower unit was jamming the powerhead, keeping it from cranking over.

Will remove lower unit tonite after work and see if engine turns over. But, how does a jammed lower unit make the tach goe crazy when I attempt to turn over? Thanks so much for your advice appreciate it greatly.

Ho does a jammed lower unit make the tach go crazy when I attempt to turn over?
Only thing I can think of is the sudden increase/release of the engine rpm... jam, release, jam, release, etc.

If this is not the case, an additional problem would exist with the charging system. (Tach functions off the charging system).

Lets hope the tach operates properly on the garden hose test run. Let us know what you find.

Sounds like a very low voltage from the battery to me. Like a shorted cell.
Take battery to auto parts store for load test.

Back