Logo

General Information on 1989 Evinrude 48HP SPL Request.

sashko1

Contributing Member
Hello,

yesterday I bought this 1989 Evinrude 48hp SPL motor. The seller showed it to me run but I still would like to completely go over it with servicing vital points before I actually use it.

Can someone provide info on:
- what type of lower gear unit lube to use on this motor?
- fuel to oil ratio?
- spark plug type?
- point setting (I think this should be under flywheel)?
- what's good compression value range for this motor?
- any additional information is greatly appreciated.

Also,
how does this motor switch gears, is it electric switch or mechanical, or hydro-electric (like I had on my 1971 Johnson 60hp)?

Thank you,
Alex.

Last edited:
No electric shift on that motor.------Mix is 50:1 with good oil.--------There are no points anywhere on that motor.-------You should install a new waterpump impeller too.

Actually I consider the electric shift to be very simple, with nothing that goes out of adjustment.----------The 60 HP electric shift unit is also more robust than the 48 hp 89 model that you have.

Another question, on the starboard side of the engine somewhere towards the middle of the side there is some device (cylindrical, black in color) with a orange/yellow/red little lever on it. What is it?
I tried and this lever turned cc-wise to 12 o'clock and back to 3 o'clock.
What does it do? What's it for?

It is an electric valve used for starting the motor.---Takes the place of choke flappers in the carburetors.---------Red lever is used for manual operation of the valve.------Learn all you can from your owners manual on how to start this motor.--That will save you a lot of grief and $$$$$$

Back