Logo

1997 90hp

anthony13

hi I have found a s/hand 1997 90hp Yamaha for sale $3000(aus)
comes with gauges, power tilt/trim, oil injected and has 340 hours on the clock, and 120psi on all 3 cylinders.
i was wondering if this sounds like a good choice/good price and also if there are things I can look for when I go to check it out.
i am assured I can hear it running so I wanted to know if there's a few tests I can perform to garuantee it's seaworthy.
any response will be welcomed thank you

Is the motor on a boat so you can check it out at full throttle in the water? If not, it is hard to tell with it on a stand or hanging on the stern of a boat out of the water how it will perform in the water when under a load.

hi I have found a s/hand 1997 90hp Yamaha for sale $3000(aus)
comes with gauges, power tilt/trim, oil injected and has 340 hours on the clock, and 120psi on all 3 cylinders.
i was wondering if this sounds like a good choice/good price and also if there are things I can look for when I go to check it out.
i am assured I can hear it running so I wanted to know if there's a few tests I can perform to garuantee it's seaworthy.
any response will be welcomed thank you

I agree, boat should be run under load.
You should also pull the drain plug from the lower gearcase. Note the color of the oil. If it looks milky you have a seal problem which has allowed water to get into the gearcase. Also, note any metal filings on the drain plug.

The 90 HP Yamaha has been around for quite awhile and has preformed well.

Back