Logo

click sound at starter solenoid area

artrobry

I have a e150tlcos. 1985 v6 150hp evinrude. Starter would barely turn the Flywheel yesterday when I got to the lake. Battery was charged good. Finally it turned over. Well about a hour later I was ready to move fishing spots and I turned the key and all heard was a click at the starter /solenoid area.starter wasn't engaging. Gave it a little bit and it started. But it did it again. Today the same thing. I put another solenoid on it today but it intermittently would still just get that click sound. Any thoughts? What do I trouble shoot?

First thing to do is have your battery load tested. Next clean all the battery cable connections on both the battery and the motor.

+1, what boobie said. In fact, those are the things you should have done before buying a solenoid. Someday, I'm going to buy stock in the solenoid company. Most of the "bad" ones are not bad at all.

First thing to do is have your battery load tested. Next clean all the battery cable connections on both the battery and the motor.
So for the load test hook my meter up to the battery, crank the motor and basically I'm checking the min volts during cranking? What's the min that is ok?

The spec for testing a battery with an ohmmeter and cranking is 9.8 to 10.2 volts. Still best to take it to a parts house.

Back