Logo

Honda BF7.5 issues

dreads0518

I have a 1982 BF7.5 Honda four stroke, S/N: BF75L1401227.
Just bought it last week, and the guy had it running when I got there to look at it, and it was still attached to his sailboat.. I had him shut it off, waited about 10 mins and had him restart it again (Needless to say it was pouring rain during this) Removed the cover and looked at it the best I could...
Ok........ Here's my issues. First I've been trying to find the correct impeller so I can change it, but I'm coming up with 2 different part numbers.
19210-935-003, and someone wrote this number inside the motor cover 19210-881-A02.
Secondly, I went and cranked the motor today, it took about 4 pulls and it started fine, but it idled very high. when I bring the throttle handle down to the start position, it cuts off.. As long as I have the handle in a higher position the motor runs, but as soon as I bring it down to low idle it cuts off like the carb is not getting fuel....Also it started to idle up and down without me touching the handle...
I replaced the plugs today before I started it......
Any help on these issues would be greatly appreciated....
Thanks!!!

The shutting off thing probably has something to do with the wiring going to the kill switch in the handle having a bare spot that is touching ground. Just have to find it and insulate it with tape.

The surging or high idle could be a few things but try this:
In the link below is a parts blow up of the carburetor. Locate the plug screw (item #10) on yours and take it out and blast it with something like WD-40 or carb spray. Then replace the screw and try it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If it doesn't then you will likely need to take the carb apart and give it a good cleaning with MILD solvents.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/0/BF75E SA/CARBURETOR/parts.html

As far as the impeller goes, here is the link to the page from boats.net that lists it and...there are TWO different numbers....one of which does match the number you found under your cover.
The 19210-881-A02 is driven by a flat spot ground into the vertical shaft. I do not know why there are two impellers as well as two separate impeller "covers" listed.

Maybe HONDADUDE can shed some light on that.

The "cover" is the flat, stainless steel plate that the impeller rides on and seals against. If it is worn, you will not get maximum cooling. Replace the "cover" if it shows signs of wear other than being flat and smooth.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/0/BF75E SA/VERTICAL SHAFT/parts.html

The 19210-935-003 impeller is driven by a "KEY" inserted in a slot milled into the vertical shaft. The link below is for reference.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H...BF75Z LA/WATER PUMP VERTICAL SHAFT/parts.html

You may have to bite the bullet and take your lower end down to figure out which style you have before ordering parts.

Hope this helps and good luck.

My parts program says that the impeller was 19210-881-003 and it supercedes to 19210-881-A02.

Both covers are still available and it appears either can work with the motor. The 840 number does seem to work with more models to the some of the BF8A models.

Mike

Mike (hondadude) has pointed out something that should be stated here. He warns against using "CARB SPRAY" and recommends BRAKE KLEEN instead. I find that I can use the carb spray sold in CALIFORNIA but you might want to avoid it if you live some place OTHER than here.

Ok. I removed the plug screw, but it seems that's all it is, a screw.
There is a small tube looking part down inside that the screw covers.
Do I spray the part inside the cover hole??

Thanks again Mike/Hondadude!!
I did get the impeller replaced today but haven't had a chance to start the motor yet. (Family thing's going on)
But I noticed the impeller that was in there was in good shape, but the blades were turned in the opposite directions than what the maintenance manual that I purchased instructed. Can that cause it to appear like it needs a new impeller??? Also the cover was not smooth as stated above, so it and the gaskets were replaced with new.

Mike, should I use brake kleen on the carb plug screw??

Thanks!!

Back