Logo

New to a mercury

Wade9011

I bought a 1984 pro line and it has. 1984 mariner 115 ....it looked ruff and I went on what the guy said...and made the deal..took it out and boy I didn't know you could run thru so much gas so quick...my evinrude 150 burns half what it does!!! Well now with my question with this large boat they have a stainless steel 17 prop and rpms turn just about all the way up I just hoping someone out there could tell me what rpm this motor should run at and if this motor is worth keeping so far it runs great its the salt water series and the guy gave me another complete motor minus foot and claims it was rebuilt he just found a guy that bought it blew it fixed it then bought a 4 stroke must be nice to have money...but pleas if anybody knows the answers to my questions pleas let me know....respectively, wade

So many questions.

First off, the WOT range for the 115 is 4750-5250 rpms.

You don't mention the model of the ProLine and some of them are rather large and heavy. The 115 may be way "under powered".

A boat, properly powered, will "minimally" have a motor that is at least equal to 80% of the max horsepower rating for the hull. So if your boat is rated say at 300 horses (300 x .8), then 240 (250 horse) would be what it "should" have on the back.

If you are under-horsed whether you have a SS prop or a plastic one will make little difference. Also, if you are not capable of getting the motor up into the WOT range you run the risk of sending the motor to an early grave.

It sounds like someone has cleaned out there back yard here and got rid of their "project". Many of these questions should have been answered "before" you bought this, but now that you have, go back to square one and start figuring what you have here.

Perhaps that "partial" second motor was initially meant to be the "second motor" on this boat because it really needs twin 115's to power it properly????

Back