Logo

Help 1992 60 HP Evinrude - turn on engine and after 5 minutes: beep, beep , beep

michael1983

I have a 1992 Aqua Patio pontoon boat with a 60 hp envinrude engine. I turn on engine and after 5 minutes: beep, beep , beep. Turn engine off and 5 minutes later beep , beep, beep. The more throttle I give it the faster the beep. The sound is coming from where you stick the boat key. The oil level in the tank is 3/4 full, the water is flowing out of the motor nicely the entire time wther its beeping or not. As you can see not technically sound but any ideas/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Family coming in next week and would like to fix the issue.

There may be an issue with the oil side of the VRO oil injection.--------You risk ruining the motor of you keep running it !!----------Mix oil with the gas at 50:1 and have this alarm sorted out !

(VRO Horn Warnings)
(J. Reeves)

NOTE: I retired around 1991/92. Possibly some of the later V4 engines and others may also incorporate a fuel vacuum switch that would enable a fuel restriction warning to sound as mentioned below, an unknown factor to myself.

1 - A steady constant beep = Overheating - The V/6 engines, possibly some others, have a fuel restriction warning which is also a steady constant beep.

2 - A beep every 20 or 40 seconds = oil level has dropped to 1/4 tank. (Late model engine = Every 40 seconds)

3 - A beep every other second = VRO failure, air leak in oil line, oil restriction, (anything that would result in a lack of oil being supplied to the engine).

NOTE - If the warning horn is the black plastic (overpriced) three wire type horn, the warning horn should beep once when the ignition key is turned to the ON position. If it does not, it is either faulty or someone has disconnected it (a stupid move!). At any rate, if it does not beep which indicates that the horn is non functional, find out why and do not run the engine until the problem is corrected.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

You may have an air pocket in the oil line.. try squeezing the primer bulb on the oil line and see if that stops the beep. It did on my 200. If that doesn't work, then start using pre-mixed gas and oil

Back