Logo

Please help me ID my Mercruiser 260(?)

NEK

Hi

I'm new as a member but have been lurking and learning from everyone here for quite sometime. For the education so far, and the help you all have unknowingly already provided me, I thank you.
I seem to find myself in a predicament. The mercruiser 260 in my new-to-me Sea Ray Sundancer 260 has a serial number on it that seems to come up as unknown when I use it to search for parts. The number is 5635304. I thought i'd recorded it incorrectly but i've triple checked it and have also found it in two spots on the engine. There is another sticker on the engine labeled "sterndrive" or "outdrive" with the number 5564294. There is also a gold aluminum tag on the carb with a different ser. number on it that I don't have in front of me now. I have removed the outdrive and have the engine out and on a stand. I've ordered Mercruiser shop manuals for the 260 in my ser. number range(hope I didn't throw money away on the wrong ones).
My problem lies in that when looking at the engine diagrams on marineengine.com for the 260 GM that has a serial number range that my serial number falls within, the diagrams are not wholly accurate. Some specific differences are the flywheel cover on my motor is one part, however, in the diagram it is two parts. If I look at the diagrams for the 260 MIE GM V-8 for the years 1981-86 the flywheel cover is more accurate(engine mounts still don't show on it) in the diagram but there are other differences. The engine is clearly labeled 260. It appears to be an original sticker but I could be mistaken and a PO could have relabeled it.
Am I missing something? Can anyone help ID my engine so I can order appropriate parts(rear oil seal is leaking and I may replace bearings if they are worn). How can I check the ser. number for the sterndrive? I believe it to be an MC-1 but that is going off of the sticker on the ENGINE labeled "sterndrive". Where will I find a serial number on the sterndrive itself? There are no stickers on the drive. Apologies for the long post and thanks in advance for the help.

there should be a aluminum tag just above the starter
Thanks for the reply Doc.
That is one of the places I got the number 5635304 ...I actually went to the barn and checked it again just now. ...I keep hoping i'm misreading it but its clearly imprinted in the aluminum tag. Am I being too picky in expecting the parts diagrams to fully match my engine? There seem to be some pretty significant differences. ...maybe it doesn't matter since it seems many parts are used on multiple engines and years.

Thanks for the reply kghost. Thats the engine I thought I had. Whats been confusing me is that the parts diagram doesn't fully match my engine, as i mentioned above. Is this normal? Also, I can find the engine you list above EXCEPT that it says 4bbl instead of 2bbl. What does that designation refer to? Carb? Is it mislabeled in the list of engines as 4bbl or is the 2bbl not listed/I'm not seeing it. ...I'm trying to NOT order wrong parts and once this is solved I can order with confidence.

Again what year is the boat???

Yes 4 bbl and 2 bbl refer to the carb. Carb is not important...........just a different option..230 hp vs 260 hp typically........

Your outdrive for that year (if the numbers are correct) is a MC-I, the predisessor to the R drive which was the predisessor to the MR/Alpha.

I believe the MC-I and R are almost identical in design..........only minor differences.......

Thanks again for your time and help kghost.

Boat is a 1980 I think. ser#37m791079-260da169-80
last two digits are year, right?

I haven't looked at the carb. It seems to be operating fine. ...if it ain't broke... so I'm not sure if it's 2 or 4. You posted 2bbl and I couldn't find that exact listing so that's why I asked. I suppose it must be 4 since engine is labeled 260(I just didn't trust the sticker when I saw the diagrams differed).

My mistake on the flywheel cover, I was confusing the bell-housing in one of the images as part of a two-piece flywheel cover.
I've seen the image you linked to but the engine mounts on my engine are cast into the flywheel cover and that pic doesn't seem to show that.
I can post pics of cover this afternoon when I get home from work.

I'm ready to call this solved unless you or someone else feels my engine is not the one you posted above. I guess there can be small differences in external features?

1980 says it all...

Very unlikely that any parts are older than that.............

1980 is correct........

Again, 2 bbl or 4bbl does not change anything except HP rating and intake and carb............all other parts are interchangable even the cam shaft.

Thanks SOOO much kghost! I really needed the opinion of someone with more experience than me. Very helpful. Problem solved.

Back