Logo

swap motor with one having different model no

scoloc

Not actual a repair question, but perhaps someone here can help. I own a 1986 Force outboard Model number 1254x6A. It powers a 19' Bayliner Capri Bowrider. I just lost all compression in one of the cylinders. Rather that repair it, Craigslist has a 1986 Model 1251x6A for sale reported to be in excellent condition for a reasonable price that I am considering. Can anybody tell me the significance if the 4th digit in the model number, and whether it reflects a difference that might make it unsuitable as a replacement for me? In short, If I buy the 1251x6A should I be able to swap it out for the blown 1254x6A on my Bayliner without complications?

The model change could be something as small as using a different screw or a wire tie.
The everyday operating stuff is ALL interchangeable.
It should just swap right over.
Just make sure it's the same size.
They made 2 sizes one is a 20in and the other is a 25in.
It's a fairly easy job.
Make sure the steering tube is cleaned before you try to put it together.
Also the steering cable, extend it and clean the old grease. Reinstall with a thinner grease or even oil?

Thank you for the quick answer. That the motor was made in more than one size is precisely what I needed to learn. Is the different measurement the length of the lower unit? I guess what I really want to know is now is which part or points on the motor I should ask the seller to measure for purpose of comparison before I commit to the 2 hour drive to see it?

Disregard my latest. It appears the measurement refers to the vertical distance from top of the transom to the cavatation plate. Mine measures 20". Thanks again!
Shaft Measurment.jpg

OK. My ccurrent motor is the 20" and the seller has the 25" shaft. I suppose I could swap.shafts? Or is that even necessary. Would the extra long shaft adversely effect handling? I suppose it would exaggerate tilt adjustment, but any other concerns?

The mid housing is where the extra length comes from.
Thy added 5 inches on the lower part of the mid section.
And 5 inches on the drive shaft.
Yup, like kim suggested change the powerhead.

Thanks. I will plan on swapping powerheads. We agreed on a purchase price contingent on a good compression test. If all is good, I will bring it home today and go from there.

Back