Logo

Boat repair

kbbgood

I have a 1984 Glasstream Hydrabass 15v. I got it new back then but it has seed a lot of sun and is faded and lost the clear coat on the top cap and interior. All you feel now is real rough. How does it get fixed back to new shape. I am not a painter so I don't know what to look for in someone to fix it. Also it had wood lids(what were the thinking? WOOD? REALY?) They are all rotten. They looked wood with fiberglass on the under side but under the carpet none. Just bar wood. Like I said. What were they thinking?

Generally, on any boat with exposed wooden pieces, do a lot of sanding down to the bare wood, then coat it with a very good marine varnish, if you want to preserve the appearance of the wood, or coat it with a very good marine epoxy paint. Jamestown Distributors and West Marine on the Internet have some very good "How To" videos and papers on various restoration projects.

The same really goes for the fiberglass, unless you are dealing with gelcoat, which doesn't sound like the case. Fortunately, there are some really good paints out there now for coating fiberglass. Again, see Jamestown Distributors, or West Marine.

This really is a project you can do yourself, given time and patience.

Back