Logo

Old Mercury outboard

kbbgood

I have a 1983 Mercury 80hp outboard that has been sitting for about 20 years. Went to have it fixed back then and got took so it has just sit since then. It need a stator or something replaced. It has a bare wire on the right side coming down from the stator and it shorts out to the block and won't let it rev up. It would idle and run but not rev. The last time I looked it would still turn with the fly wheel. Since it has sit all this time what should I look for to get it running again.

Also the seeing shaft in the motor is locked up. How do I get it free again.

looked at both your entries...one on boat and this one on motor...what kind of shape is the trailer in?..what is a seeing shaft?...the first thing you need is a air conditioned work space in the summer and heated space in the winter...you got one hell of a project...the first thing i would do is remove all the plugs and put the motor in neutral and see if i could get it to turn over...if i was successful in that i would check compression and make a decision if i wanted to fix it or scrap it..it sounds as if you know it needs a stator so you are talking 250=300 bucks right there...you are going to spend more than the rig is worth but i cant put a value on sentimental attachment to you..good luck...and let us know what you decide...if you got the patience and desire we got the time to try to help you..

It should have said steering shaft.
Old grease has hardened.Tilt the motor and run a propane blow lamp on the shaft 'til the grease softens,when you can move it pump in fresh grease.
As papyson says,it will take time,lots of it and patience,lots of it,and money,lots of it.This particuler T-shirt I have worn.

I used the bolts on the flywheel yesterday and it turned over real easy just like new. Need to replace the spark plugs wires cause the mice got into them and had a feast. And a couple wires in the front needs replacing. Other then that in is in good shape I think.

Back