Logo

throttle and shift cable issues

Blackjack2014

Contributing Member
I have a 1982 Mercury 115 HP SN 06300368 that is absolutely driving me nuts on tryin to re-install the throttle and shift cables on both the control box as well as the engine. I kick my self now that I did not take some pics but the younger I get,,,the more I remember. I've had this boat in storage for 6 years and just now got healthy enough to try and get it water worthy. Started out, I had to replace the water pump, then trim switch was bad, finally got new one, then starter bendix starts slipping ( got new one ordered) and after installing new trim switch, I went to re-install the throttle and shift cables, and I must of lost my mind or memory,,,,,Was told by member here that throttle cable goes on TOP on the control box, but something binds up when I try to accelerate the engine. Both cables are free and smooth when disconnected and are identical except that one of them has a brass adjuster barrel and the other one has a black plastic adjuster barrel. What I see happening is that the throttle cable being on TOP, it pulls the throttle lever on engine "forward" as it should,,,but when you put control box in reverse,,it pushes the throttle lever back into the "idle stop" and binds up the whole mess and you cannot throttle up in reverse,,,,???? WTH????? Also, with the shift cable disconnected at engine, you can move the shifter on engine back and forth with a screwdriver and prop locks up on either position and direction. I have done a search on this and read all I can but nothing that explains how to set everything from scratch... CAN ANYBODY PLEASE HELP,,,???

Hey Haventaclue,,,OOPS,,,I started a new thread as I didn't want to muddy the waters with so many other issues I am having with this boat at this time. I "save as" the two pages but they blur up too much when I try to zoom to read em. Looks like a slightly different control box than mine. Goin to see if I can post a pic of my control box, hopefully we can get this resolved as I've about wore out my fingers taking this thing apart so many times,,,!! I can't get the uploader to initiate,,,??

Hey Haventaclue,,,many thanks for that link, I went ahead and downloaded all of that manual. I did finally, after three teardowns,,,,get all the little parts and pieces of the control box back in the right spots,,,whew,!! I believe I can tear one of these down and re-assemble it blindfolded,,!! Anyway, the "throttle only assy" was the culprit as it and a few other pieces were stuck with hardened up grease. It now works slicker than,,,,grease,!!! BUT,, it is now very hard to go into forward or reverse. Control box and both cables are nice and smooth, but when I hook shift cable to engine, It is very hard to shift. I used a screwdriver to move the shift mechanism back and forth and while it will move,,,it is very hard to do so. Since I replaced the water pump, I did notice that when I was trying to align the lower unit up into the engine, the splined shaft at top of lower unit would "spring" either direction if you tried to move it to align with the shaft coming down from engine,,,??? I did turn the shaft both ways to make sure it was in neutral before it went up into engine. It does change gear now when you move it with a screwdriver, but is pretty hard to do so. I noticed that it does "spring" into gear when you push the shift lever FORWARD but am not sure if that is forward or reverse,,,?? Is this supposed to be spring loaded like that?

When you check the shaft in the leg and the one in the lwr unit and they don't aline,use the ajusting nut at the motor to move the shaft in the leg,takes very little.I used this method 'cause it kept the shaft in the leg in one place and the shift lever in the neutral indent.
Pushing the lever forward should put the engine in forward,try turning the prop and it should ratchet in one direction and lock in the other.Or you could try putting both in fwd as some motors assemble easier that way,though it shouldn't matter as long as both remote and lwr unit are in the same gear

"I did turn the shaft both ways to make sure it was in neutral before it went up into engine"

You may need to pull the pump again in case the vanes got turned the wrong way.When installing a water impeller,only turn the drive shaft in a CW direction and use plenty of wash up liquid or petroulem jelly,not grease.
It is spring loaded as there is a spring loaded bullet like cam follower inside the propshaft.#50 in the diagram http://www.marineengine.com/parts/m...thru-6436122-usa/gear-housing-propeller-shaft .

Back