Logo

No power to engine

dblake

I have twin Chrysler 318 engines in my 1973 Tollycraft. The port engine starts and runs just fine. The starboard engine will not do anything at all. It seems as though it has no power going to it. When you turn the ignition key the gauges move, but other than that, nothing. I tried to jump start it with a screwdriver, also nothing. I removed the battery cables, cleaned them and reattached them. Nothing! The boat is also plugged into power at the dock and everything else seems to be working. What should I be looking at as the most likely cause to this and in what order?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.

Daniel

I thought about the neutral safety switch. It actually has given me trouble in the past. The selectors are centered and I have wiggled them back and forth while trying to start it with no results. Where is the switch located and what is a good way to test it?

IF they are MORSE controls, the neutral safety switch is mounted on a flange near the arms that actually move the shift cable ends. Think upside down under the console for this :). If controls are screwed into the console instead of thru bolted, you MAY get lucky and get away with unscrewing the base (4 screws) and GENTLY lifting the whole control up enough to expose the switch. If this works, block it up with a chunk of 2x4 so you can work on it. This does not always work as it depends on slack in the cables and any clamping.

Things to check for:
Loose/missing screws on (micro) switch as it mounts to the bracket.
bent bracket
mis aligned switch
broken wire to switch
corroded connection ( typically push on type crimps)
bad switch

Last edited:
My neutral cut out switch is on my transmission. It looks like a big bolt on the side of the transmission with 2 wires screwed to it. Take the 2 wires off and twist them together to bypass the switch (test).

Back