Logo
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1

    Default Omc 351w king cobra ignition conversion

    I have a 1993 OMC King Cobra with the old computer ignition system. I just bought the Pertronixs distributor . Out of the 14 wires that went into the old ECM , what ones will I need to use for the new distributor? What do you do with the other wires? I know I am not the first to do this.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Portland, Oregon,
    Posts
    9,090

    Default Re: Omc 351w king cobra ignition conversion

    EST ignition systems use an ECU or ECM.... I.E., a computer of sorts.
    Is the new Pertronix system also EST?


    .
    Rick ... aka Ricardo..... AQ series Volvo Penta repair
    Portland, Oregon
    28' SDN F/B w/ twin Volvo Penta 5.7L DP's

    Please... no PMs! Post your questions on the forum.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    DC Burbs/Maryland Eastern Shore
    Posts
    1,107

    Default Re: Omc 351w king cobra ignition conversion

    Ford 460? You'll need to supply the ECM with spark pulse. On Fords this is known as PIP (Profile Ignition Pickup) signal. This goes to pin56 on the ECM. This is usually the first wire on the TFI connector. Might be grey/pink, blue, depends. Check with Pertronix how they want you to wire this in. I don't want to tell you something that is wrong, as the PIP signal may or may not be compatible with the signal from the Pertronix. It should be, but they will know best.
    Practicing the ancient art of ren-ching

  4. #4

    Default Re: Omc 351w king cobra ignition conversion

    Quote Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
    Ford 460? You'll need to supply the ECM with spark pulse. On Fords this is known as PIP (Profile Ignition Pickup) signal. This goes to pin56 on the ECM. This is usually the first wire on the TFI connector. Might be grey/pink, blue, depends. Check with Pertronix how they want you to wire this in. I don't want to tell you something that is wrong, as the PIP signal may or may not be compatible with the signal from the Pertronix. It should be, but they will know best.
    They call this a control module on this 351w king cobra. It had a. 12v coil mounted on top of it. The module has a 14 pin connector and about 8 of them are being used. I am not sure about the new marine distributor by Pertronixs . I do know that it will also need a 12v external coil . My problem is when you no longer are using this control module, what happens to all the wires that went into it that are no longer connected. What wire do I use to power the new distributor?

  5. #5

    Default Re: Omc 351w king cobra ignition conversion

    This is a 1993 Chris Craft 262 Crowne. 351w king cobra set up. It has a 4 barrel carb and I quess what is an ECM WITH a 12v coil mounted on top. With the new distributor I know longer need the ECM. What do you do with the 14 wires that used to go into the ECM? Which one of those wires is now the power wire for the new for new distributor ? I figured a couple of those wires were for the alarms for the oil and water sensor. The model number is 584DPEJVV

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    DC Burbs/Maryland Eastern Shore
    Posts
    1,107

    Default Re: Omc 351w king cobra ignition conversion

    OK I looked up this engine and the thing is sorta a hybrid between coil pak distrubutorless ignition and a distributor with electronic ignition like your pertronix. The distributor on this is basically just a cap and rotor without any timing or spark stuff in it. The timing actually comes from a crank ring with a pickup sensor which sends timing signal to the black box which amplifies the signal. This is turned into pulses that go to the coil, and subsequently to the distributor. It's a pretty bullet proof set up. That said if the amplifier dies it's NLA so you are up a creek.
    So, you are free to bypass everything related to that whole mess and just run the Pertonix like any other standard type diz. Only thing is, I don't know where you get timing marks.
    Practicing the ancient art of ren-ching

  7. #7

    Default Re: Omc 351w king cobra ignition conversion

    Quote Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
    OK I looked up this engine and the thing is sorta a hybrid between coil pak distrubutorless ignition and a distributor with electronic ignition like your pertronix. The distributor on this is basically just a cap and rotor without any timing or spark stuff in it. The timing actually comes from a crank ring with a pickup sensor which sends timing signal to the black box which amplifies the signal. This is turned into pulses that go to the coil, and subsequently to the distributor. It's a pretty bullet proof set up. That said if the amplifier dies it's NLA so you are up a creek.
    So, you are free to bypass everything related to that whole mess and just run the Pertonix like any other standard type diz. Only thing is, I don't know where you get timing marks.

    You out have answered the biggest question I had about all the wires in the ECM.
    Thank you
    THe coil got its power from the ECM directly. Where would be a good place to pull for - & + sides of the coil

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    DC Burbs/Maryland Eastern Shore
    Posts
    1,107

    Default Re: Omc 351w king cobra ignition conversion

    In OMC-land switched power is purple, so purple/red, purple/blue, etc. I recommend you pop for the correct manual as sold by our host. This will have wiring diagrams and pictures of the standard type ditrubutor wiring. That will tell you where to take power with confidence. Please use the correct marine grade terminals, wiring and assembly tools to avoid heartbreaking failures away from the dock.
    Practicing the ancient art of ren-ching

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    DC Burbs/Maryland Eastern Shore
    Posts
    1,107

    Default Re: Omc 351w king cobra ignition conversion

    One other thought. Could you not substitute that giant black box madness for a good old GM ignition amplifier module that you can get at any auto parts store for $20?
    Practicing the ancient art of ren-ching

  10. #10

    Default Re: Omc 351w king cobra ignition conversion

    I think this module was made to do exactly what omc wanted it to do. Oil pressure drops sound the horn, water temp to high sound the horn, put the engine on safe mode to limp home. I could not find the original black box. There was quite a few boats that this style ECM was put in. I am not going to lose much by going to the new style distributor. Should have bought the DUI distributor with the coil built in. I can now open my spark gap to .040 gap and get better performance fuel consumption

  11. #11

    Default Re: Omc 351w king cobra ignition conversion

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger4451 View Post
    I think this module was made to do exactly what omc wanted it to do. Oil pressure drops sound the horn, water temp to high sound the horn, put the engine on safe mode to limp home. I could not find the original black box. There was quite a few boats that this style ECM was put in. I am not going to lose much by going to the new style distributor. Should have bought the DUI distributor with the coil built in. I can now open my spark gap to .040 gap and get better performance fuel consumption
    Were you ever able to get this working? I am looking to do the same set up. Can you give my some info on what you did to get rid of the black box and wire up the new distrubutor? thanks for your help

  12. #12

    Default Re: Omc 351w king cobra ignition conversion

    Quote Originally Posted by tylerw13 View Post
    Were you ever able to get this working? I am looking to do the same set up. Can you give my some info on what you did to get rid of the black box and wire up the new distrubutor? thanks for your help
    I used the petro box flame thrower marine distributor. I then put a 40,000 coil inside the black box. Not sure what wires I actually used that use to go inside the black box. Pretty simple. I am out of town but when I get home I can check for you.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Omc 351w king cobra ignition conversion

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger4451 View Post
    I used the petro box flame thrower marine distributor. I then put a 40,000 coil inside the black box. Not sure what wires I actually used that use to go inside the black box. Pretty simple. I am out of town but when I get home I can check for you.
    Ok cool no rush i was just wanting to know exactly how you set it up and i would follow your setup. Did it help how the boat ran? Also did you have to mess with the shift assist or anything like that?

  14. #14

    Default Re: Omc 351w king cobra ignition conversion

    Quote Originally Posted by tylerw13 View Post
    Ok cool no rush i was just wanting to know exactly how you set it up and i would follow your setup. Did it help how the boat ran? Also did you have to mess with the shift assist or anything like that?
    Putting the Petronixs distributor was extremely simple. You really can use the same coil in the electronic module if you want. Disconnect the wires from the electronic module . You will need to find the tach wire. None of the alarms will work. Does not effect your shifting

Similar Threads

  1. OMC 75 King Cobra loses ignition after approx 30 mins running time
    By budleigh1 in forum Montgomery Wards Sea King
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-12-2009, 05:21 PM
  2. OMC 75 King Cobra loses ignition after approx 30 mins running time
    By budleigh1 in forum OMC Sterndrive and Inboard Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-12-2009, 05:21 PM
  3. Omc cobra lower unit nightmarevolvo sx or king cobra swap
    By 91mariah50omc in forum OMC Sterndrive and Inboard Archive
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-30-2006, 03:00 AM
  4. 75L King Cobra Ignition
    By chrism in forum OMC Sterndrive and Inboard Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-29-2006, 02:03 PM
  5. 1993 OMC KING COBRA vs 1990 OMC COBRA
    By Steve Beasley in forum OMC Sterndrive and Inboard Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •