Logo

Excessive oil drainage 58 Bigtwin 35

Trackbolt

Had this motor since new. Compression 120/120. Rebuilt carb new points condensers plug wires and plugs. Changed coils in 1980's. Resealed lower unit and installed new water pump. Run 24:1 mix in tanks. Runs great. Lately have been getting excessive unburned oil discharging from water intake plate above cavitation plate and from little drain hole above gear case. Not used to seeing this. I pulled lower unit after running and found water pump housing covered in 2stroke oil/water emulsion. Inspected web between exhaust/drive shaft chamber for crack. None found. What am I seeing?

Thanks

tony

Should I being finding un burned two stroke oil in the drive shaft chamber? I cannot ever remember this much drainage. The engine runs smoothly at all throttle positions with no missing and the 15' Alumacraft planes nicely. I have adjusted the high speed needle slightly back from a lean stall to smooth running and the oil keeps flowing. Hopefully on of you OMC classic fans can direct me.

Thanks

So, it is a Big Twin, not a Lark, right? Oil discharge is completely normal, so as long as it is running properly don't worry about it. Also, if you are running it in a tank or hose, the discharge will be much more noticeable. And yes the discharge goes out with the exhaust, which does blow all over the water pump.

Thanks for the replies. The motor is a 1958 Evinrude Bigtwin 35 Electirc Start model (25936) I might invoke some wrath but I have been using the Walmart brand two stroke outboard oil for many years. It has served me well. It is less expensive than the name brand and as long as it meets or exceeds the National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA) standards I never worried. As far as Penzoil goes Pop always ran Penzoil. After he passed in the early 80's I ran mostly the Evinrude oil as there was a shop near where I lived. He sold it to me in bulk and all I had to do was to bring my own container. When I first returned this motor to service back in early spring, I mixed SeaFoam in the gas/oil mix at 1 oz per gallon so it was a 24:1 oil gas mix with six ounces of Sea Foam to my 6 gallon tank. I always put Sta-Bil in the tank with every fill up since. If someone a favorite TC-W3 two stroke outboard oil they would like to recommend I will certainly try it. I will change brands with the next tank full and make a WOT up river and back to see if that helps.

Again thanks!

Tony

Back