Logo

Sears Eska Model 217-58560 3.5 hp Tecumseh

unior

Can't get this thing to run after hours of tinkering. I cleaned the carb to the best of my knowledge. And replaced the coil, condenser, points, spark plug. Sometimes it will fire for a second and then stop. I'm running about 40:1 fuel ratio. I disconnected the kill wire. It seems to randomly be getting spark.

The carb butterfly position can cause issue's wth starting, these little motor just needs the right amount of fuel and spark advance to run like a champ, do you have the Tecumseh carb/engine manual? PM with a e-mail addy if not

The carb butterfly position can cause issue's wth starting, these little motor just needs the right amount of fuel and spark advance to run like a champ, do you have the Tecumseh carb/engine manual? PM with a e-mail addy if not

Update: holy hell I got the damn thing to run half decent. I gapped the points a little tighter .019" and really pushed them against the feeler gauge. It has been starting now and running half decent. It will rev up but sometimes sputter or hesitate on acceleration or decelleration. Just cutting out some. Dosn't like to idle all that well either. Screwed around with the carb adjustments a lot too. It dosn't even seem to want to start without the idle screw being about 2.5 turns out. The Main screw needed turned in to get it to rev clean. Gosh this thing is finicky. I'll take any pointers on how to fine tune this thing.

Can't get this thing to run after hours of tinkering. I cleaned the carb to the best of my knowledge. And replaced the coil, condenser, points, spark plug. Sometimes it will fire for a second and then stop. I'm running about 40:1 fuel ratio. I disconnected the kill wire. It seems to randomly be getting spark.
I had the same problem with mine and found out the end of the plug wire has that pushes into the coil is made differrent then most motors and was working its way lose thus no fire,i cured it by bread tying it under the flywheel so it couldnt shake loose.

Did you replace the fuel lines? It just takes a little water in the tank to make you scratch your head and want to take a sledge hammer to it. Drain the tank into a glass jar and see if any water is in the bottom of the jar. Pull the carb and surface the flange on a glass table with 220 grit paper just pull it in one direction only until it all shines the same and make a new gasket. Do not over tighten the carb down just pull it down slow and even to good and snug. One of the biggest mastakes is using a old carb gasket and overtightening it down. It bends the ears on the carb and creates a vacuum leak. Probably why you cannot get a smooth idle. Your local lawnmower repair shop likely has the rebuild kit and gasket for that carb and some good fuel line. All the other parts can be looked up at sears parts direct just enter the model number to look up part numbers.

Did you replace the fuel lines? It just takes a little water in the tank to make you scratch your head and want to take a sledge hammer to it. Drain the tank into a glass jar and see if any water is in the bottom of the jar. Pull the carb and surface the flange on a glass table with 220 grit paper just pull it in one direction only until it all shines the same and make a new gasket. Do not over tighten the carb down just pull it down slow and even to good and snug. One of the biggest mastakes is using a old carb gasket and overtightening it down. It bends the ears on the carb and creates a vacuum leak. Probably why you cannot get a smooth idle. Your local lawnmower repair shop likely has the rebuild kit and gasket for that carb and some good fuel line. All the other parts can be looked up at sears parts direct just enter the model number to look up part numbers.
I dont think your replying to me,because i said i had firing problem like the previous fella and i fixed it by getting the plug wire end to fit tighter i the coil

Does anyone know the correct spark plug for the 3.5hp Eska???

lol,if your offended by my question....to bad cry baby johnnygjr--this is a site for shared information...grow up!! hijacking,REALLY,BAHHAAAAA!!

Back