Logo

Iron Duke 120 HP

DubyaB

I Just joined this forum, having recently acquired a 1971 16' with a 120 HP GMC engine ('Iron Duke' motor block stamp # 3937746) with an electric shift sterndrive. I'm about ready to scrap the sterndrive, but would like to keep the engine. Anyway, I saw somewhere online that this engine was also used with a mercruiser sterndrive, and possibly other drives. (also in a 1964 Nova). Does anyone know, or where I could look for this info. Thanks.

Thanks 02batsea. I maybe should revise my original i nfo; after following through on the links supplied, there is info that the 'Iron Duke' was built by Pontiac from 1976 until 1993. My engine is 1971 (or pre'71) and is a 120 HP/153 cu. in. displacement. Maybe it's not an 'Iron Duke' after all. Will keep looking.

In any case it is probably best to persue a different direction as this boat will cost you way more to get going than it is worth. By a mile. Only go forward if you really like the boat and you are unable to afford to drop the project in its present state.
Your main issue is the transom. Right now you have a big roundish hole back there. Any drive you seek will be the "standard" cutout that looks pear shaped. All drives fit this type hole. In order to fit a new drive you will have to fill in the old hole and cut a new one. This is usually a job best left to a professional boat builder, but not outside the realm of a home do it yourselfer. It will cost you somewhere around 1000-1500 to have just this one job done. Then you will have to install the new transom parts for the drive, the drive itself, and the engine may no longer line up with the old mounts. That means modifying or relocating the motor mounts. Then you will have new controls to run, hydraulic lift pump and wiring, and who knows what else. I think you are beginning to see that this is far more invasive surgery than you may want to undertake.
I would put an ad on Craigslist, sell the boat and start looking for one that has a Bravo drive. Or an outboard. My $00.02

Thanks for the replies....I have the unit operational now. But taking your advice '02batsea' and it's now parked at the end of the driveway with a sign on it. Already too much $ gone south on this one!

Back