Logo

Nissan 55hp outboard

blais504

I am trying to get in touch with kat 66 I believe is who I was told to contact. I am looking for a power pack or a part number to an after market one that will work in its place. If you have one or can tell me how to obtain one it would be greatly appreciated! Dead in the water!!

A bit obsolete, but good runners. Get the precise model/serial. Maybe post a picture. Does yours have separate coils, or are the coils integrated into the CD?

A bit obsolete, but good runners. Get the precise model/serial. Maybe post a picture. Does yours have separate coils, or are the coils integrated into the CD?

Will take pics tomorrow and post. This thing is driving me up a wall! My 6 yr old is jumping up n down to get out on the water!

20140908_164018_resized.jpg20140908_164034-1_resized.jpg20140908_164008_resized.jpg20140908_164018_resized.jpg20140908_164034-1_resized.jpg20140908_164008_resized.jpg
Here are the pictures of my 55. Would like to have complete ignition system complete with remote control box if there is one to be had. Time is of the essence as I am battling stage 3-4 head and neck cancer and I promised my 6 year old we would have this old boat running this summer

A crusty oldie. My normal reaction would be to retire it. However, if you are willing to diagnose it (could be a host of issues); we can help some.
1. Did you ever have it running? If so, how recently?
2. If it did run, did it run well? What were the characteristics... idle, WOT, pumping water, etc?
3. Have you diagnosed a bad CD? If not, you must do that, as throwing odd parts at a problem is costly, and seldom accurate.
For example... do you know whether you have spark? Any idea what the compression readings might be? Do you know when the carbs were last overhauled?
Since you are already Remote, why do you want a replacement RC box? Parts are generally available for the older boxes... within reason.
Precious few parts are still available for that model, so you MUST diagnose, and we can go from there.
To DX the motor, you may want a factory service manual... long out of print... but I do have a reprint you can have for $25.00

A crusty oldie. My normal reaction would be to retire it. However, if you are willing to diagnose it (could be a host of issues); we can help some.
1. Did you ever have it running? If so, how recently?
2. If it did run, did it run well? What were the characteristics... idle, WOT, pumping water, etc?
3. Have you diagnosed a bad CD? If not, you must do that, as throwing odd parts at a problem is costly, and seldom accurate.
For example... do you know whether you have spark? Any idea what the compression readings might be? Do you know when the carbs were last overhauled?
Since you are already Remote, why do you want a replacement RC box? Parts are generally available for the older boxes... within reason.
Precious few parts are still available for that model, so you MUST diagnose, and we can go from there.
To DX the motor, you may want a factory service manual... long out of print... but I do have a reprint you can have for $25.00
The shop literally 2 blocks down from my house that a bunch of the coonass' down the bayou use has been helping me try to get it running. Motor was running real good. Compression was almost to factory new specs. Water was pumping good. But when you hooked up remote harness it wouldn't run. So was going to run it without that just to make sure motor itself was sound prior to doing anything else. Got it in water n it ran for about 5 min and that was it. Got it home put the in line spark test light on it and nothing. No spark.

Check your wiring. If connecting the RC box harness caused it to stop running, there may be a short in the brown wire (kill switch) or similar simple problem causing the issue. You definitely don't want to start throwing hundreds and hundreds of dollars into that motor. If the CD tests bad, that's effectively the end of the line.

Back