Logo

2004/2005 Johnson/Suzuki DF140hp 4 stroke - was there a recall on the blocks?

Larry Aichler

I have a Johnson/Suzuki 140HP 4 stroke, date stamped 11/2004, and it only has about 120 hours on it (119 on the meter plus whatever may have been put on during demos). I have taken very good care of this motor, including a fresh water flush EVERY time it was put in use. Anyway, the last few times I have taken it out, I noticed some issues when idling and on low rpm's. I thought maybe I had purchased some bad gas, so I drained the tank, changed out the spark plugs, fuel/water separator and even changed out all the fuel lines and bulb. Took it out and same thing was happening. While flushing out the motor with fresh water, I noticed a crack in the upper portion of the block. There were 3 small droplets of water/condensation coming out of it. The engine has never overheated, I have never gotten a warning sound or light on the console, and the BRP dealer that performed the diagnostics confirmed this. I live in Florida, so freezing isn't an issue. I then read online that many Suzuki's within this time frame were having the same issue, a defect in the casting of the block.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...lockcrack2.jpg

Has anyone else experienced this?

What are my next steps? Was there a recall on this engine that I can locate somewhere (as I cant seem to find one)?

BRP said that they would split the cost of a new powerhead with me, but I would have to pay shipping and labor, which will amount to just under $5K...for an engine that books at about $3K.

This is really a tragedy as I don't feel that I should have to trash an $8,000 engine because of a defect in the manufacturing of the product, in or out of warranty.

Any advice would be appreciated. Otherwise my next step is to clean it up and JB Weld the crack. It should work for inshore fishing, but my days in the open water are done will I can afford to replace it.

I love the fact that no matter where I ask these questions about my issue, no one is willing to respond. That only tells me that both Suzuki and BRP both are aware of the issue and dont give a **** about their customers. BRP offering to split the cost of a new powerhead unit, but I would have to be responsible for the shipping costs and labor to replace it, tells me that they know its a problem, but are pricing me out of having it fixed. To pay more to fix a part then what the motor books out at is stupid....but wait, they will gladly sell me a new one. So basically screw Suzuki and screw BRP. You both allowed an inferior product to hit the market and dont care about the safety of your customers. When I repower, it will be either Yamaha or Mercury.

i cant find anything about a recall...but i do find a lot of problems such as yours on the web...in fact i see your name in another thread that has a hell of a lot of problems...you are out of warranty if they would even honor the warranty...and it looks like they depreciate the payoff even under warranty..a real turnoff..i know the feeling..got stuck replacing a gm engine about 10 years ago because of their plastic manifold..

Back