Logo

1995 40 hp force power head problems

alabiker1

I have a 40 hp force 1995 motor I tore apart because it has low compression on one cyl.

What i have found is one of the rings looks like it broke and got caught on the inlet port and it really chewed up the piston.
In addition.....both cylinders have a worn spot in the bottom of them the shape of the piston head like gravity took over and wore the side of the cylinders.

So the questions I have are:

1 What caused the wearing on the cylinders from the piston? and is it common to see this wear from years of use??

2 If the ring broke and I assume so because part of the ring is gone and the inlet port is chewed up a little bit and the piston is chewed up as well.
Should I rebuild or did something in the bottom end cause the wearing on the side of the cylinders and the rings to fail and a rebuild will only fail again.

3 Some say dont rebuild some say do some say get a used power head. Spending a grand or two is not an option. I am afraid to buy a used motor because who knows how long before it fails. I feel confident I can rebuild but I dont know much about outboard motors...... HELP I just want to fish... :)

The wear could be from not enough oil mixed in the gas, running it out of gas when shutting it down.
Carbon build up could add to the problem.
Normal wear.

Most definatly rebuild.
Use Wisco pistons and rings.
The Wisco rings won't fit the standard piston
Make sure they get installed right.
How much damage is in the cylinder walls?
Don't bore out too much. .010 if possible .020 at the most.

Post some pics.
I've rebuilt lots of these and it's a real easy job.
Take pics, get a "FACTORY" manual.
ASK QUESTIONS!!!!!

The wear could be from not enough oil mixed in the gas, running it out of gas when shutting it down.
Carbon build up could add to the problem.
Normal wear.

Most definatly rebuild.
Use Wisco pistons and rings.
The Wisco rings won't fit the standard piston
Make sure they get installed right.
How much damage is in the cylinder walls?
Don't bore out too much. .010 if possible .020 at the most.

Post some pics.
I've rebuilt lots of these and it's a real easy job.
Take pics, get a "FACTORY" manual.
ASK QUESTIONS!!!!!

Jerry thanks so much for the feed back.
I will post some pics shortly.

I added some photos.

I noticed that the exhaust port on one has a crack in it where the ring got caught.

It cant be seen in the attached because the res is so low you can clearly see it.

Should I be concerned or ????

Attachments

• 20140903_063317-1.jpg
    20140903_063317-1.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 20140903_063246.jpg
    20140903_063246.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 49
  • 20140903_062610.jpg
    20140903_062610.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 20140903_063246-1.jpg
    20140903_063246-1.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 47

I added some photos.

I noticed that the exhaust port on one has a crack in it where the ring got caught.

It cant be seen in the attached because the res is so low you can clearly see it.

Should I be concerned or ????

I would like to emial you a photo of the crack if you dont mind.

my email is [email protected]

If you dont mind sending my an email i will send you the photo.. I tried to post the photo of the crack but the file size is so small it makes the crack a blur.

Back