Logo

Is it possible to decode my SN?

Blackjack2014

Contributing Member
Hey Guys,,,I have a Mercury 115 HP 1983 ( according to title) motor on our Pontoon boat that am having absolutely no luck finding a replacement Trim/Tilt toggle switch that goes in handle. I have tried a several sites but on entering the engine SN, I get a note "number not found" The engine SN is found on an aluminum tag on the right hand side of engine mount is 6300368.,,,,,? Most sites ask if engine is a Mercury, Mercruiser, 1150, Mariner,,,??? I have tried all these designations but still NO LUCK,,, It is an inline vertical 6 cylinder, two stroke with three carburators. Can somebody please help?

Hey Haventaclue,,, I finally called enough Mercury dealers and found one that gave me a PN for the trim switch ( 87-88790A4) and my Son, that is in Air Force in Panama City, Fl. found not one but three at a mercury dealer in Pensacola,Fl just about an hours drive from him. Great,! Got one coming and should be here Tuesday. I now need your help on another issue, tho. When I was messing with the tilt & trim issue, the control box got to where it would not go into forward or reverse. Thinking one of the cables must be stuck, I removed them from box but both were free,,,,??? WTH??? Finally figured the little pin that is activated by the thing you squeeze on handle, was froze up with hardened grease and would not allow shifter to move. Freed that up, but not can't figure which cable goes where,,,,???? According to position of carb butterflies, the throttle cable has to pull forward to throttle "up" but,,does the throttle cable go in the upper or lower position in the control box??????

Throttle top,shift bottom,that is if you have the same control box as I do.If I can find the fitting instructions I'll post a pic

Hey Haventaclue,,Thanks, Guy. I'll go give that a whirl soon as the sun comes up,,,,, Thanks Boat_Tech,,,looks like what I was doing was not using the 0 in front of the actual SN,,,!!? I tried the SN without the 0 and get a "serial number not found", but key in a 0 before the number ,,,,it works. Weird,,,the tag on engine does not have a 0 so,,,??? Thanks for your help, I appreciate your time.

Boy,,I'll tell you,,,if it ain't one thing, it's the other,,,!! Got the throttle and shift cables installed and when trying to start the engine,,,the dang starter bendix keeps spinning out before engine starts. I took the starter off and removed the bendix and seems to work the way it is supposed to. It will only go one way and you cannot make it slip when engaged,,,What the hay,,,??? Wonder why it is spinning out when trying to start engine???

I NEED SOME HELP..!!!! I'm about to go batty with trying to get the shift and throttle cables in sync with each other where they will work . I am kicking myself for not taking a pic before I removed them from control box but water under the bridge at this point. I just want to get this figured out. I installed the throttle cable on the top spot (as per (haventaclue) as the mechanism does "pull" the throttle lever "forward" on engine as it's supposed to when you move the handle forward. Only problem with that is that it also "pushes" the throttle lever "way back" when you shift to reverse and try to throttle up,,,,??? when I install the throttle cable ON ENGINE, it binds up the control box,,,?? What am I doing wrong? tried lookin for something on youtube but no luck so far. I can manually move the shifter arm on engine and does lock prop in different directions when shift moved forward or reverse,,,,???? CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP,,?

These are the instructions,hope they are readable

Attachments

• Photo0189.jpg
    Photo0189.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Photo0190.jpg
    Photo0190.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 29
Back