Logo

What does this thing do...? lol..

1973 115hp johnson outboard

I've got no idea what this thing does.. it spins. I haven't touched it when the engine is on, don't want to ruin anything.. what's it for?
http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=OMC0385581

It goes on this;http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...M&manufacturer=Johnson&section=Remote+Control

Also, quick question.
Sometimes I have trouble starting the engine, if I spray a squirt or 2 of gas in carbs she starts up. I can turn her off and turn on 30 min later and she starts.
But only starts up first thing if I put gas down carbs.
I've deepcleaned (let carb parts sit in carb cleaner for few hrs) and inspected carbs throughout. Only thing is the gaskets are gonna need replacing. Any idea what it could be? I've also deep cleaned the filter assembly..

Thanks for helping again guys. Turning my 300$ 1984 17 ft larson silverline boat into something special.

Does your electric choke fully close the butterflys? Did you pull the jets and clean them good? Allways use new gaskets when mounting the carbs.

There's two sets of Flys per carb and 2 carbs right.
When I push the choke in (on the turn key) it only moved the first flys. The ones closest to the front. The rear ones do not budge. Is that correct?

Exactly what are your cold start procedures?

Hmm. I got flush muffs on the water intake I would prime bulb it until semi hard (I can never get it to get hard like on my lawn mower.. possibly air leak?) Then put key in, push to choke and crank it.

And when it's in the water at dock it's the same thing.

Sometimes she will start up if I keep it cranking for a while but mostly she needs a squirt of gas.

Hmm. I got flush muffs on the water intake I would prime bulb it until semi hard (I can never get it to get hard like on my lawn mower.. possibly air leak?) Then put key in, push to choke and crank it.

And when it's in the water at dock it's the same thing.

Sometimes she will start up if I keep it cranking for a while but mostly she needs a squirt of gas.

Also, on top of the starting problem, the screw under the carb (fuel drain I presume) when j uncrew it, it is always full of fuel so the carbs are getting fuel.. just don't know why it's not taking it at first...

Back