Logo

How do you remove water pump housing from merc 7.5

b521

Regular Contributor
I think I have a leaking seal under my impeller housing. I will pull it apart, but I don't think I figured out how to pop up the lower pump housing, the last time I was in there. The copper pick up tube is attached and I think that is why I staped from it.

I got it out, everything just pry's up. What had me baffled was the round tabs thar were protruding from the stems. They are rubber line up hold in nubs for the rubber seals.
A Question, do they sell whole water pump kits and or water pumps complete. Someone was in this pump before and it looks like a few o rings etc are not in there.

Depending on the year there is still a number of waterpump kits available - some are basic others more complete.

Additionally, just about all of the individual components are still available.

The complete kit may run 80 bucks or so but includes a new cover (which you may not need) - so really depends what you are after.

If you have a Merc dealer close, go in with your serial number - they can bring up a diagram and you can "pick" what you want unless they have a kit with most of what you are after at a price you think is fair (compared to the individual bits/pieces you need).

The "complete" kits almost always have a few pricey items that you won't need...

thx galamb,
i ordered one earlier today, i will keep you posted. This is not your standard water pump repair. someone was in this machine, had some assembly problems and improvised. (kinda like a foot doctor doing brain surgery. (these outboards can really be different than standard auto shop oil changers, If you know what I mean)

Back