Logo

1992 Johnson 40 HP 2-Stroke

Glen Swan

My engine was rebuilt about 2 years ago. It's been running pretty good thus far until today.

First off, the engine ran out of gas. I thought we had enough to make it back to the dock to refuel, but I guessed wrong. I mix my own oil in my gas and it's a extremely hot day.

The engine was running great all day, got to our cove and it slowly died out. First impression was no gas. So, I checked the can and sure enough, empty. We then tried to squeeze some more go-juice out the can to give it a bit more to get to the dock, but by now, the engine is not turning over at all.

Symptoms is:
  • Starter is turning, but not raising or engaging with flywheel.
  • Flywheel is not turning because starter is not engaging it.
  • Gas can empty

We got it to the dock, refueled it up some and tried to turn it over. Starter just spinning in place. Flywheel doesn't appear to be jammed nor are the cylinders.

My best guess is the starter is gone or going. I'm not a boat mechanic however. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Found 2 threads that were similar. One on ensuring the battery had enough juice to engage and another with cleaning/etc. So, I'll try both.

Any other ideas on what it may be?

Is it possible it's not just the starter outside of the battery? I don't know too much, but the starter is not raising and engaging with the flywheel so I assume that's pretty much the root of why it's not turning over.

Back