Logo

Seized drive shaft

Jwharton

Could use some advice from the experts on this one... I have a 1995 yamaha outboard, 85 hp, could not get lower unit off to replace impeller, have all bolts out including the hidden one under zinc trim tab. Took it to local outboard shop and they de-mounted it from transom, hung it upside down from shop crane for two days, hit it with anti-seize fluid and no go. Cost me for the try and re-mounting. So is there any other ways to get the dam thing freed up ??? Guy I bought the boat from obviously had not changed the impeller for some time. It's a great motor otherwise, bulletproof and dependable, any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

I use an adapter on the end of the crankshaft.-------Drill a hole in the skeg for a chain loop.---------then use a hydraulic or similar puller.

I would loosen all of the lower unit attach bolts so that if the lower unit drops it will come down about only a quarter of an inch.

I would see if access can be gained to the drive shaft right at the base of the motor. On some Yams if the motor is turned hard to one side you will see a bit of the drive shaft.

I would then start the motor and let it get hot. With water being supplied to it of course. I would then get an impact gun with an appropriate tool and use it to hammer on the drive shaft as close as you can to where the drive shaft enters the crank shaft. Hopefully, the crank shaft expanding due to heat, with vibration acting on the drive shaft, will permit the lower unit to break free. If so it will drop down and be held by the lower unit fasteners. Maybe the anti-seize fluid used will help it along.

I use an adapter on the end of the crankshaft.-------Drill a hole in the skeg for a chain loop.---------then use a hydraulic or similar puller.

I get having a hole in the skeg and pulling on it if the top end was secured by lifting lugs to something solid. Not sure I understand the adapter for the end of the crankshaft part.

Thanks

I get having a hole in the skeg and pulling on it if the top end was secured by lifting lugs to something solid. Not sure I understand the adapter for the end of the crankshaft part.

Thanks

Sounds like he tapped some bolts into the flywheel and used a plate or similar device to react the load that is applied to the lower unit.

I question a load of almost any magnitude being applied to the drive shaft in a direction that is counter to the normal load that is applied, which is mostly just the weight of the drive shaft pushing downward. Damage could be done to the internals of the lower unit by pulling the lower unit in one direction while pulling the drive shaft in the opposite direction.

People don't change impellers when they should. They also don't grease drive shafts when they should. Some folks don't give a damn and don't do any maintenance. To them maintenance is a four letter word. They then bitch about the lack of quality in the motor.

One option I have heard people try is to loosen off all the nuts half way and then run the boat a short distance going in and out of gear. Could also do it in a tub I guess if you can keep enough water in it.
Failing that, slide a hacksaw or sabre saw blade in between the casings (if you can) and cut the shaft.

One option I have heard people try is to loosen off all the nuts half way and then run the boat a short distance going in and out of gear. Could also do it in a tub I guess if you can keep enough water in it.
Failing that, slide a hacksaw or sabre saw blade in between the casings (if you can) and cut the shaft.

I guess it might come to that, what's the worst that could happen, a new drive shaft or would there be damage to the water pump housing too?

Want to to say thanks to you guys for putting those suggestions out there, appreciate that.
Thanks

I guess it might come to that, what's the worst that could happen, a new drive shaft or would there be damage to the water pump housing too?

Want to to say thanks to you guys for putting those suggestions out there, appreciate that.
Thanks

Just tried running her with muffs on and fishing some plastic weed wipper chord into the out nozzle at the head a couple of times and run more Salt Away into her and it's peeing like a champ! Thinking I must have some scale or sand in there somewhere giving me circulating problems? Anyway I'm not going to do anything drastic for a few weeks as the Sockeye salmon are hitting hard out there and some big Coho are coming thru.

Cheers

Back