Logo

'89 270 pseudooverheating

Here's one that has me stumped..............

'89 270 crusader 750 hours or so, ran flawless when purchased in April. Swapped the belt driven raw water pumps for direct drives. Since the swap the starboard motor water temp gauge reads 225 BUT the thermostat housing is 161 by infrared temp gun. Swapped the temp. sensor, no change. Could the overheat warning switch cause this?

no the switch is completely independent (electrically) from the sensor.....if its a twin install, try interchanging the sender leads between port and starboard gauges....also inspect the power leads to the gauge in question.

Just changed a temp sensor on mine that read too low. It happens.

West Marine hit me 14 bucks for it.

Jeff

Here's one that has me stumped..............

'89 270 crusader 750 hours or so, ran flawless when purchased in April. Swapped the belt driven raw water pumps for direct drives. Since the swap the starboard motor water temp gauge reads 225 BUT the thermostat housing is 161 by infrared temp gun. Swapped the temp. sensor, no change. Could the overheat warning switch cause this?

Has this problem developed since you swapped from a belt driven pump to a direct drive (off the crankshaft?) pump? If so, is it possible that the temperature sensor/sender that is sending a high reading to the gauge in an air pocket that needs to be burped out of the sensor. Getting a good reading at the thermostat housing is one thing but what does the infrared temp gun show at the sender?

Has this problem developed since you swapped from a belt driven pump to a direct drive (off the crankshaft?) pump? If so, is it possible that the temperature sensor/sender that is sending a high reading to the gauge in an air pocket that needs to be burped out of the sensor. Getting a good reading at the thermostat housing is one thing but what does the infrared temp gun show at the sender?

I replaced the sensor so the air would have been bled out then, I assume??!! The sensor is mounted in the thermo housing so one would think it would read the same as the same water is flowing through the housing as is the sensor.

Back