Logo

Fuel Injection Lean

northrip

I have a 1998 mercruiser 454, with bravo 3 drive on a searay 270.The first owner had 600 hours mostly trouble free use, routine maintenance. And I have had one disaster after another. In three boating seasons, maybe 15 hours each, otherwise boat out with problems. Everyone blames ethanol for every problem. I agree, I am sure it causes most of the worlds problems. But not all. I melted a piston, among other things. Apparently a bad injector, but who knows. Thirty hours later a burnt valve, 90 in 1 cylinder, 120 in all rest, after maybe 40 hours of run time. Adfter a full rebuild.

I am told engine was running lean in both cases. Mechanic has switched out the computer several times.
In between outright engine failures, all sorts of problems. Under load (but only under load), at low speeds rpm surge. Outright stalls. A heavy knock that sounds like a backfire but muffled, sort of like a fuel injection backfire.
And in between all this, sometimes it actually runs just fine.

Mechanic I have confidence, I really think he has made best effort in many respects. He is also more a fan of carbuerated engines. At this point he wants to redo the head, and switch out the fuel injection system to a carbuerator.

I am so beyond frustration. I mean what can be done to get a fuel injection system working so it is not lean. Burning up the engine. Is it really impossible?

I have no other mechanics to turn to, and I have no solutions.

Any ideas, Anyone?

Back