Logo

135 loose plug, poor fuel mileage

Geezer

Hello, my mercury 135 is having some problems, sure would appreciate some advice. I started to fog the cylinders and noticed top right plug was loose, not removable by hand but I could easily wiggle it around while in the cylinder. It would not tighten up. I have noticed it has been using allot more fuel, maybe I have two problems. Would like to do a compression check but if it will not tighten down in that cylinder dunno what to do. It was not missing best I can remember but obviously something is wrong. Maybe the loose plug is causing more fuel consumption. Any ideas? Thanks sorry, 1999 135.

Last edited:
Sounds like the threads are stripped in that plug hole.

Find a decent machine shop in your area and they can install a "helicoil" (local to me they charge about 20 or 30 bucks to do it) which will restore the threads - then take it from there.

Sounds like the threads are stripped in that plug hole.

Find a decent machine shop in your area and they can install a "helicoil" (local to me they charge about 20 or 30 bucks to do it) which will restore the threads - then take it from there.

Next time I am at the lake I will check the threads, should have thought about that. Thanks

Back