Logo

Water flow description on 1980 120 hp omc stringer

Hey guys I just need help understanding the water cooling system in my OMC 120 hp boat I was told to Grease the grease point which could cause my high-speed over heat I just want to make sure and understand how the system actually works and where the water actually get sucked in and sent to waterpark

Cooling water for the engine is picked up at the water intake in the lower unit by the make-up pump, and carried from the impeller housing through passages in the vertical drive and through both end caps to the intermediate housing. Then from the intermediate housing water is carried through the hose running between the top of the intermediate housing and the manifold elbow. At this point, water is carried forward in the inner passage of the manifold to the end cap where it enters the hose which is connected between the inner nipple of the end cap and the outer most nipple of the thermostat housing.

Look for a plug half way down the front of the vertical drive. Behind that plug is a grease fitting. Try shooting some grease into that.

Back