Logo

control module popped along with fuse???

islandjay

We have a bf40a and it just quit....noticed a 10 amp fuse blown so I put in a new one...it popped as soon as I turned the key to run position.....i checked the battery connections and the negative was loose with some charing from it shorting....cleaned it up and tightened the connections properly...tried another fuse and it popped again. ..checked connection on starter and solenoid and it's all good....noticed a burnt smell on the wiring side of the engine and took off the control module and seen splattered solder behind it....so my question now was it a rattling loose connection that fried it or is there something else at work here?....do I get the new module and throw it in there hoping it won't pop...cause that's not a cheap gamble....
I also took apart the control and inspected the wiring in there and along the way back to the engine with no signs of any shorts.

Thanks
Jason

What is the serial number of your 40A. I can not see a 10 amp fuse in the wiring. Was the fuse on the motor or in the dash wiring?

It is possible for the module to get fried. It would be like turning your tv on and off over and over again. The transient spikes will eventually find a weak part and arc across it.

Disconnect the module, put in a new fuse and turn the key to on. If the fuse does not blow, it is probably the module as you can probably physically see.

Mike

Thanks for the reply mike...all it says for my model is bf40a ....thanks to all the brilliant minds in engineering they don't stamp any more info.....I'm guessing it to be a 2008 and there's a fuse right at the front of the engine to the bottom right of the starter

Honda switched the 40 to fuel injected in 2007. Is there not a serial number on the frame where the motor bolts to the boat?

I only see a 15 amp fuse in my drawings. The 10 amp is more conservative and if in doubt, leave it as a 10 amp.

Only you can be the judge of whether it is safe or not to replace the module. Once you check everything else out, that is all that is left to do.

Mike

Back