Logo

Honda 200hp losing prime and surging

ashiel.hield

I have a 2009 honda outboard BF200A. For awhile its been having this issue where it would seem like its starving for fuel. For example you run about 15miles to another island then then the boat sit for awhile while your having lunch or fishing. When you go to run again the engine sputters and shuts off. afterward you just prime it up until the bulb gets hard and bam good to go. However now its getting progressively worse having to do this multiple times throughout the day. We have went through everything we could possibly think of in the fuel system to correct this problem. Blew out vacuum line on the vst, changed primary diaphragm pump, ran it off a separate fuel tank, changed the lil fuel vapor solenoid, ran new fuel lines, changed the primer bulb and fuel filters. It still loses prime after running. one more this is it seems to be a Honda problem cause we have 3 of these engines and they all are starting to do it and 2 other guys i know that also have 200hp hondas said they have experienced that issue but its like it goes and comes.

Anyone out there have any ideas or have experience and found a fix for this particular problem or am i missing something? Any help would be greatly appreciated
smile.gif

Once the engine is running, it is not unusual for the pump up bulb to not be hard. You're just pulling fuel through it. Once the engine has been running awhile, and you stop it for a period of time, it ought to start right back up without priming because there is still pressure in the VST.

The first thing I would do is pull the High Pressure fuel filter and inspect/change it.

I just want to be clear, you said that you changed the HP fuel filter that is on the back of the engine and requires you to remove the three 10 mm screws on the plate covering it. Is that correct?

Do you happen to have a Racor-type fuel-water separator installed in the fuel line before it gets to the engine? If so, was that filter changed?

When the engine is sputtering and dying, have you tried pumping the primer bulb at that time? If not, try that and see if the engine picks back up. If so, I would be suspicious of the low pressure fuel pump.

Okay on all of that. I'm just trying to help you pinpoint the problem.

One question - are you operating in a particularly hot climate?

It sounds to me like you are losing fuel pressure somewhere between the VST and the injectors.

Make sure that the VST bleed screw is totally tight - that's the one that you open to bleed fuel out of the VST through the clear plastic tube. You need about a 10" flat blade screwdriver to get to it without taking off the upper cowling.

After you have been running, and then stop to eat or fish, wait about 5 minutes or so and pull off the engine cover to see if you smell gas. That would be an indicator that fuel is venting from a loose HP connector or seal.

Also try this - the next time after you have shut the engine down, and it would normally "sputter and shut off" upon restart. Try turning on the key switch and wait 5 seconds or so, before going to the start position to start it up.

Hello, i am having a similar problem with a BF150. Same symptoms as asheil. I have changed all filters, new vst assembly, low pressure fuel pump, fuel lines, primer bulb etc. Next parts guess would be injectors or pressure regulator. Hot weather restarts, after an hour or so of hard running, will result in a fuel starvation issue. I will prime the bulb, restart, and go on my way.

Hello, i am having a similar problem with a BF150. Same symptoms as asheil. I have changed all filters, new vst assembly, low pressure fuel pump, fuel lines, primer bulb etc. Next parts guess would be injectors or pressure regulator. Hot weather restarts, after an hour or so of hard running, will result in a fuel starvation issue. I will prime the bulb, restart, and go on my way.
Start a new thread.

It wasn't my problem. I was just trying to help out. But totally agree with Ian - sounds like vapor lock, which is caused when water flow to the water jacket on the VST is restricted.

Back