Logo

engine overheated

roadman269

I just bought a 20 marlin cuddy cabin with a chevy 305..was told the upper had been redone all the compression numbers ae written down next to the cylenders... we went out it overheated after about 45-50 min ...could this be caused by tilting the engine up ...brang it home and it ran fine with a clamshell on it and a hose ... also should the cap on the vavle cover pvc.. be in tight or loose... any help appreciated

I just bought a 20 marlin cuddy cabin with a chevy 305..was told the upper had been redone all the compression numbers ae written down next to the cylenders... we went out it overheated after about 45-50 min

...could this be caused by tilting the engine up
I doubt that you'd be able to tilt the engine up...... however, you will be able to tilt the drive up.
Were you running the engine with the drive tilted up???

...brang it home and it ran fine with a clamshell on it and a hose .
With enough garden hose volume and a good water muff fit, this may circumvent an otherwise seawater pump problem.

With any New-to-us boat.... it is imperitive to at least inspect the seawater pump.
DO NOT take the previous owner's word that the impeller (or the entire pump) had been changed XX months ago.

.. also should the cap on the vavle cover pvc.. be in tight or loose...
The cap should be fairly snug!

Back