Logo

V drive oil leak

buick430

Regular Contributor
Hey guys I posted a while back about the v drive on my 73 luhrs with twin 318's and paragon v drives being slow to engage in reverse. I went ahead and flushed the fluid in both the tranny and the v drive gear box. The delayed reverse shift is gone but now I have a significant leak after 20 hours of use on the output shaft seal of the v drive gear box. It is bad enough to see it coming out with the engine stopped.

Can the gear box be removed without removing the tranny? and whats a good source for the seal?

Thanks, will

Will,

I believe that they can be separated but I am not positive. I know I saw parts online for the paragons but I cannot recall where, otherwise give Harpures a call. I removed my paragon as a whole last time I had an issue and it was not that hard. I whipped up an A frame and pulled it out with a couple of chain hoist.

Matt

right on matt. I put some lucas stop leak in there and its actually stopped. should get me through the rest of the season untill the fishing slows down and I am more motivated to disable the boat for a couple weeks.

will

Ive been trying! its been working me pretty good though. Im actually down in san diego now and this is my first year playing with the bigger fish so my experience and tackle isnt quite up to snuff. Ive managed a couple nice YT and hooked a couple sweet dorado but I lost those. ILl keep trying as long as I have gas money though! How have you been doing out there?

will

A few YFT and some yellowtail so far, have not been able to put the time on the water that I need to. Plus I'm in Pedro and long beach so we do get the fish like you do in SD. Season is not over yet!

Back