Logo

Knob on front of hydraulic pump assy???

Blackjack2014

Contributing Member
Hello to all,,,We have a 24 Ft Pontoon with a 1983 115 HP Mercury SN 6300368 that we have not had in the water for 5 years due to some health issues. I have been working on getting it ready for some fishing so I replaced the water pump and spark plugs. The "UP" on the power trim would not raise the engine and I traced the problem to a bad " UP" solenoid on the pump. Replaced it with one from Ebay, Now, the engine will not come down from the full up position, pump will runn but engine will not come down,,,,? The pump started to make a "GURGLING" sound when pressing the "UP" switch,,,but sounds normal when pressing "DOWN". Engine just will not come down!! There is a " Knurled KNOB" on the lower front of the pump housing, that looks to be some sort of adjustment. Is this knob supposed to be screwed in or out or ,,,?????? Pump is full of fluid, so,,,???? Can anybody offer some kind words of wisdom,,?????

If it is the system that is in the boat,that knob is the reverse lock and should be engaged while the boat is under way,but no effect on the up/down,make sure the supports are out of the way.But the gurgleing makes me think air lock.Open the vent screw and leave the fill screw out and try again,this is a self bleeding system

Hey Haventaclue,,, Many thanks for your quick response,,,when you say "engaged" do you mean screwed all the way in?? What I did was bleed off some pressure at both cylinders and the engine went down bout halfway. Then tried the "up" and "down" and seemed to work OK, and the gurgleing stopped,,,,??? I was using a jumper wire to put 12VDC to the "up" and the "down" solenoids as the toggle switch on the handle is not working. Do you have a good source for replacement parts such as this small " On-OFF-On momentary toggle switch?? Again, many thanks for your time and assistance. Joe r

First an apology,there are two bleed screws on each of the trim rams.The up bleed screw is on the bottom of the ram and down bleed screw on top.:eek:RTFT:eek::mad:
Yup,Turn the knob fully cw to engage.Those toggle switches appear on ebay often though I would pull the handle apart to see if there is a break in the wire that a drop of solder might just cure

OK, Guys,,,let me see if I understand bout the knurled knob on the pump,,,(,1). It is for a "reverse lockout" to keep the engine from kicking up when in reverse.,? Only problem, this being a Pontoon, the pump has been mounted in one of the compartments at the rear of the boat and is NOT easily accessable. Me, being a 245 Lb Fat man,,, I have to climb OVER the rear seats and stand next to the engine and lean over the Pontoon framework that is 3 Ft. high, trying to reach down into this 3 Ft. by 3Ft. enclosure to reach the dang knob,,,! Me thinks that is exactly why I never knew that knob was even there,,,!! Ha,,!! So,,I will leave it screwed OUT or CCW and leave it at that,,,,??? Thanks FATZBULLET,,!! (2.) Me also being a "frugal" type of guy,, ( I like that word) , I have opened lots of other switches of all kinds before and successfully repaired them before, so after proving that the switch was not making contact internally, I opened it up and, and the small "toggle strip" had fused and burned the contacts to where filing and sanding did not fix. The "up" solenoid was also erratic and did find one on Ebay and replaced it. I have not been able to find a toggle switch that will fit in the handle, yet. I have a couple of feelers on Ebay that may prove out to fit where it looks factory. (3),, I do appreciate all you GUY's help on getting this thing resolved. By the way,,,will somebody tell me how to start a new paragraph on this site,,,? On others, you just hit "enter" but don't work here,,,,???

Back