Logo

Honda BF135 High pitch noise (sounds like its in the crank case), check engine light and alarm

PacificAqua

Its a Honda BF135 4 stroke, fuel injected. Has a high whirring noise from crank, triggers a check engine light, and when I rev the engine it starts bouncing the RPMs up and down and shakes back and fourth wildly. I am mechanically inclinded, but Ive been a diesel mechanic all my life. An outboard boat engine is a lil different than the engine in a Peterbuilt. Please I need this boat up and running asap, we use it everyday and its hard on us having more than one down. Thanks

Just to get things started...I am on the road tomorrow, so this will probably be my only entry for a while. So I hope others jump in....

Is the noise coming from the upper part of the crank or the lower?

If the upper, you are just going to have to remove the top plastic cover and see if anything is loose or rubbing external from the crankcase. i am sure you have taken a long screwdriver against various areas of a motor and the handle up to your ear, like a stethoscope. (Or use a stethoscope if you have one)

If the sound seems to be coming from under the crank pulley in the crankcase, the next step is to remove the timing chain cover to check the timing chain. One of the chain guides may have broken or come loose. Parts 11 or 12 http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H...d Later/BF135AK0 LA/CAMSHAFT VALVE/parts.html

It would help for you to check the codes to see what is causing your check engine light to come on..Find the red 4 pin connector on the side of the engine. Using a paperclip short out the light green/white and the blue leads. Careful not to cross it over to one of the other leads.

Turn the key switch to on and watch the check engine light. Count the long and short blinks and let us know what you find.

Check the codes first....that may help you locate the problem quicker.

Lastly, if you are reving the motor up above 2000 - 3000 rpms when the engine is in neutral, the engine will shake and bounce. It does not want you to do that when it is not in gear. If you must do a quick rev up, put it in gear. You should not rev it high without being in the water. But, try what you were doing before but do it in gear, just to eliminate the shake as a problem. Then again, there may be a problem. That is the only way to tell.

Good luck.

Mike

In addition to what Mike has said, I have heard of the BF150 (same as the BF135 but with V-Tec cyl head) destroying the crankshaft thrust washers allowing the crankshaft to drop down enough to cause havoc with the crank angle sensor on top of the crankcase. Resulting in erratic running & a noise from the top of the engine.
To check the endfloat, pry under the crankshaft top pulley gently. Should be around 0.010"

Bob

I would never be revving a boat without water, this boat doesnt leave the water and gets approximatly 180-200 hours a month. I looked over the engine and found it had a connector unplugged that goes to the mass air sensor, Im guessing. Check engine light is now gone. However the alarm stays on only when its running and the damn whirring noise is still there. I did the stick to ear test before I posted the first time, and the sound seems to be comming from one of the center 2 cylinders but could not desipher which it was. The sound is more definate on the intake side, though I dont think its in the intake. Its definatly not coming frome the timing cover. Should I just pull it from the river and send it to a shop?

Back