Logo

1999 Mercury 115 ELPTO 2+2 knocking issue!

thewizard007

So anyhelp would be greatly appreciated!
Was out on the lake the other day, running across the channel at about 45mphwith the engine at 4500-5000 rpms. All of a sudden the engine just dies! ThoughtI might have hit the safety lanyard and pulled the kill switch, checked and nope?! Turned key and she started backup right away. Went further on the lake doing same speed for about5 minutes and it again justdies! I have had this thing at 5200RPMs at 50+ with no issues in past.
So I raised the engine checked prop, etc. Nothing seemed out of ordinary...Istart I up again with no issues and same thing happens, now I start to worryand troll it to nearest marina, idling slow...we take off the cover and the oil resis fairly low. So I buy a quart of 2 stroke oil and drive it out of the marina,and notice the engine has a Knock to it, sounds like lifters in old cars...
I went back to Marina but it was Monday and they had no service techs...calledlater, and they are saying could be blown power head, crankshaft, cylinders,etc... $$$ is all I hear.
Any thoughts on what I could be or a way to diagnose? I changed the plugs,changed the oil and it still sounds like knocking coming from center own to lowerunit...checked the compression and top 3 cylinders reading about 140 while the bottom about 137. (not sure if that is too high?)
Before bringing it to a shop figured I would ask.
Thanks for the help!

Here is a link also to the video...I sounds a bit worse on video than in person! Again thanks for the help.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a2gl4c11oxcn78r/IMG_3139.MOV?dl=0

Jeff

Back