Logo

Broken bearing on the OMC cobra outdrive

Warhead2006

hi guys, I have a 1991 Chris Craft 228 Concept with 5.8 OMC Cobra outdrive, I have put so much money and time already into this boat :) now I found noise in the outdrive causing sometimes no start and locks up motor, no power. Took the top cover off and found the shaft that goes to water pump had bearing on it that fell apart, missing several rollers. My question is what should I do? can that bearing be replaced? my mechanic never worked on OMC outdrive and thinks I need to buy whole used outdrive. Any advice what can I do or the cost or even some tech that knows OMC's I live in Chicago. Iam auto mechanic but I have no clue about outdrives. Thank you

my mech just called and said its 2000 for reman unit
or ad 600 to convert to mercury outdrive, what should I do? he don't know how to rebuild outdrives so no point to tear it down

Converting from the OMC Cobra to a Mercruiser A drive, or to the SEI A drive knock-off, would be swapping one Dog Clutch drive for another!

Consider finding a good used Volvo Penta SX or DP-S drive for the conversion.
Conversion parts are just as easily available...... in fact, the Volvo Penta conversion preceded the A drive conversion!

No more Dog Clutch in lieu of the much better Volvo Penta drive with the Cone Clutch system.
You'll also rid yourself of the OMC ESA system.

The VP conversion does require an engine mounted seawater pump...... of which is a real plus anyway.

Last edited:
Hi thanks for advice, it seems like expensive swap. I have 6000 into this boat and trying to figure out cheapest way to repair this issue. Isnt mercury better that volvo? I thought when omc (junk) stoped making outdrives than volvo just took it over. I need to find a good tech in chicago :) also what is dog clutch?

Yes...... Volvo Penta did purchase the chapter 11 OMC company! However, Volvo Penta did not continue with the dog clutch Cobra or King Cobra in either version.

All drives after 1993 are Volvo Penta's cone clutch design. These use a Gimbal style suspension and geometry, much like the OMC style.
I can assure you...... to two drives (OMC and Volvo Penta) are not the same!

Dog Clutch engagement is a type of "driven" gear to propeller shaft coupling.
It provides a rather crude "in or out" and abrupt style of propeller engagement.
Other styles are cone clutch or clutch pack.

I'm not a fan of the OMC drives. The company had enough problems that they eventually had to file Chapter 11.

I know that you have spent some money on your OMC, but you may want to cut your losses now.
Perhaps sell off what you can while it's still in working condition.

Last edited:
I like the SEI option for the 3 year no questions asked warranty. Forget to put oil in it...., get a new drive.
Plus, if you ever sell your boat, you can put "Mercruiser outdrive" in the ad and people will actually call. In some areas that's all anyone will call for. $600 pretty cheap for the upgrade.

He probably won't need a warrantee with the SX or DP-S drive..... and the resale value with a Volvo Penta cone clutch drive will be even greater! :D

However, he will spend a few more dollars doing it… That is for certain.

Well thanks for your input guys, what i did first yesterday was filed a claim on my insurance that i hit the wall with my prop and when i was driving it started to vibrate than boom just loud noise and died, told insurance that my mechanic said to file claim cause thats accident , the prop is chewed up and missing tips at least an inch. So we will see what adjuster will say :)

He probably won't need a warrantee with the SX or DP-S drive..... and the resale value with a Volvo Penta cone clutch drive will be even greater! :D

However, he will spend a few more dollars doing it… That is for certain.

in some areas possibly. But not where I am. Most of the local dealers take nothing but Merc on trade in i/o. Unless they are a VP dealer, but VP dealers seem to be fewer and further between every year. Not sure why but Merc is really monopolizing.
And there are more pleasure boats here than anywhere else on earth. per capita or per area

Last edited:
Back