Logo

Help w/ 9.9 Honda.. not pumping water

Captrob10

I have a 9.9 Honda Longshaft, year unknown, but the IDStarts with BABU….
I thought I would just do basic stuff to this, I changed allfluids, And made sure that all levels were good. I changed the impeller withnew, and plugs. And new thermostat….
Well, now it’s getting VERY hot, so hot you can’t touch itafter a while, and it’s not peeing still, cleaned out all ports, and hoses.
Its seems like it’s still not pumping… and the hottest place to touch, is rightunder the power head…( almost where that shaft from the pump goes intosomething ( the bottom of the engine???) . Is there something that shaft from the impeller goes into, that turnsit?? And, no, the gears on top of that shaft, the one that the impeller isconnected too, are not stripped out. …….. Maybe that not working????
I have no idea, and im stumped.. Needhelp, want to get back on the water ASAP.

BABU indicates it is an older vintage 9.9 between 1990 and 1999.

When you changed the impeller, did it have any missing blades? If so, did you find the blades? While we are talking about the impeller, how do you know that you installed the correct impeller or thermostat, if you do not know the serial number or year?

If you found all of the blades, are you sure you put the key #24 in?

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/1998/BF9.9AW LA/VERTICAL SHAFT/parts.html

Also, usually grommet #7 gets stuck up on the water tube...if you do not take it off the tube and put it on the water pump housing before you put the lower unit back on, it will not pump good.

More questions....than answers....

Was this motor running ok before you changed the impeller or was there a massive overheat? If there was a severe overheat, then you may have to go into another direction.

Mike

Thanks for your reply. no, the old impeller was fully intact. yes, there was only one way in which to install both, impeller, and thermostat. the tube was clear, I can shoot up water thru it with a hose, when it was apart. .....
ran the engine for a few, had the thermostat housing off to see if it was pumping water.... no water came thru..
Before I did the "service" it wasn't "peeing" , but never got hot. I cleaned out that hole, it was clogged...... The Honda ran good then....

My opinion is..first don't run it anymore until it gets that hot! Each time that you do, you are causing damage.

Second, I think that Mike is right and that the impeller drive KEY has slipped on you and you may find it not there or awkwardly wedged between the shaft and the impeller. Did you just replace the impeller only? I recommend ALWAYS buying a new key because the old one will be worn. Careful inspection will prove me correct. It's either something like that or the tube seal ring (item #7 in the page Mike provided) got missed somehow. My money is on the drive key.

Take it apart again and look. If you find that I'm right, you will need to start over with a NEW impeller and a NEW key. If you try to reuse the old impeller OR the old key after they have slipped on the shaft like that, you may get it to work but it won't be "right".

Also, ANY signs of undue wear inside the plastic housing or on the impeller "cover" (item#4 Mikes link) should prompt you to replace those items as well for MAXIMUM water flow.

"over 70% of ALL catastrophic engine damage BEGINS with a cooling system failure".

Good luck.

Hey guys, I just took the lower end off, and there is only ONE shaft from the impeller to the bottom of the engine... NO key, just one piece.. solid.. its odd..... and there was no wear inside the housing.....
does that tube drop the water pump to the engine, is that muti pieces??? Im thinking maybe there are muti peices, and I dislocated one in the process of removing it??? Im not sure ....

Let me see if I understand what you are saying...

There is just one vertical shaft or tube going up to the engine from the lower unit?
I assume the water tube #6 is there. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/1998/BF9.9AW LA/VERTICAL SHAFT/parts.html

Are you saying that the drive shaft #14 is not? Yes, it could have fallen out. That turns the water pump impeller. Never having done this before, you probably would not miss it as you put things back together.

Mike

it is possible. I will give it another go when there is more light, I got off late from work....
yes, # 6 is there, but its real loose when you move it around, in fact, its so loose that you can hear it it the housing, when moving it with your hand.. ( not sure if thats normal)
If you look at the link, #15, #16, well,.... isnt there?? it's one very long vertical shaft, the shaft, its connected to the pump, and goes all the way up, into the bottom of the engine, and on top of this mystery shaft, are "teeth", which, has to be 'mated" to go back in correctly, if not, the lower unit will not go back together.....
Not sure if im making sense.. however, you can turn said shaft by hand, and you can hear/feel the impeller moving....
your correct, Ive never worked on an lower unit before, thought i would try to save a few dollars and try this myself.... I hate for this to kick my butt.... I really appreciate all of you guys help......
oh, the water tube, is still in the housing..... ( the mid section, ..its a longshaft..)
the impeller, has a "groove" cut into it, which has to sit on the shaft a certain way, to line up.... I'll take a few quick pics, maybe to show you said shaft.......
However, it wont let me add any pics??? Im just having a hell of a week....

What is the complete serial number? That way I can zero in on your exact motor.

The picture that we are looking at, has three different vertical shafts. Only one applies to your motor.

You said that the watertube is loose....if you put a garden hose up to it with some packing to minimize leaks, will the motor pee? If you pull the thermostat and cover will water come out? If you put the hose up to the thermostat housing and blast it with the garden hose, does water come out the water tube? There should be a nice stream the size of the tube coming out.

The watertube should not be loose going into the water pump. As I said in a previous post, #7 grommet should fit at the top of the water pump housing and the water tube should go into it and make a tight fit.

Some vintages of 9.9's do have an impeller without a key....there is a flat spot on the shaft that matches up with the impeller. When you turn the vertical shaft, you should only turn it clockwise, looking down at the water pump.

Do not try to pull the water tube out of the powerhead, you will probably never get it back into the powerhead without removing the powerhead.

Mike

Sure, number is
BABU 1400189, I havnt and will not pull that tube out of the motor, no worries there :)
I just tried the garden hose.. and yes, it pees with a very solid stream. both ways....and water seems to flow freely, All tubes are clear, and seem to be connected....
is there a bearing that turns the shaft, that turns the impeller? Bc it gets very hot right under the motor, where I think the shaft would connect with the motor, ( havnt ran it in a while, but i didnt want to case damage knowing it gets hot there.... )

It is a 1999. BF9.9AX model

This is the parts picture we need to refer to. It verifies to me that you have an impeller without a key since you have vertical shaft #14. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/1999/BF9.9AX LA/VERTICAL SHAFT/parts.html

Now pull the thermostat and see if the impeller will pump water up to there.

If you are feeling the midsection, just below the powerhead, it will get hot...that is where the exhaust is going. If it is in the water, the water helps cool it.

That brings up another thing.....are you checking this while it is in the water or are you using rabbit ears? Rabbit ears do not work well with this motor....that may be your whole problem.

Mike

no rabbit ears, large old trash can.. LOL, but the water is half way up the mid section when I run it. I will see later today after work, if water was coming out of the thermostat housing... I tried this before, and it wasn't doing it, but Ill put the lower unit back on, and make sure that the tube is seating well with the water pump.

Mike,
Thanks, got it, its running like new now. one thing tho, do you know how to reconnect the linkage?? When i dis connected it, i undid, that very long bolt, ( #9) which inturn, disconnected it from the upper linkage,( #10) not the lower unit ... oops. This is the only thing I have left. soon as i can get this thing connected. I am done.. ( for now, LOL) This there an easier way, than try to connect it thru that little opening? It seems like when I try to line it up... it keeps popping out, and yes, i am turning it the correct way. I had it connected, but it was "bound" up.. it wont change gears. but when it its not connected.. it moves freely... As far as the bottom linkage, you can freely move that up and down with a pair of pliers... just not sure how to hook this back up, THE CORRECT way, so it works...LOL......
any ideas?
thanks...

Yes, you will have to make the adjustment through the opening. Here is how you do it. It will sound crazy, but this is close to the exact wording in the manual....and it works.

"Remove the shift rod joint (long nut) for shift rod B (rod coming from lower unit). Set the shift lever to the Forward position, and screw in the shift rod joint (long nut) so that its edge is 3mm (0.11in) out of the lower mount edge. (Sticking out into the opening). Note: Install the shift rod joint with the "up" mark facing up.

Move the shift lever from Forward to Neutral and attach shift rod B (from the lower unit ) to the shift rod joint (long nut). Set the shift lever to the Neutral position and turn the shift rod joint so that its edge is 6mm (0.24 in) out of the lower mount edge. Tighten the lock nut securely against the long nut.

Shift the shift lever in Reverse and Forward and turn the propeller by to to make sure that the gear change timing is proper.

That's it.

Mike

Back