Logo

Need Help!! 1998 Evinrude 90 HP Idle/Starting Problem

windknotnc

I have a 1998 90HP Evinrude on my skiff that I cannot seem to track down an idle/ starting problem. Model is E90TSLECM. I have removed carbs, soaked overnight, put new kits in them except for the knockout plugs. I am running new gas, have checked the fuel pump to insure no diaphragm perforations, new fuel lines, new separator, new fuel filter and new plugs. The engine is very hard to start and sputters when cranked and I have to continually push the primer to keep it running. If I can ever keep it cranked long enough to rev the engine it usually is ok. It takes the fuel well and runs great at 2500 rpm and higher. When coming from WOT back to idle it is ok to start with but gradually starts sputtering and dies. Then the same cranking process starts over again. I have checked the primer solenoid and it is functioning correctly. When cranked on the cup and does idle the rpm is about 1150. This seems about 300 rpm too high out of the water. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem could be? What have I missed?

Back