Logo

Reversing direction of throttle cable in control box

twoslow

I am new to this site and need help. I just swapped my 50 hp Honda outboard to a 90 hp. I am using my existing throttle/shift cables. The throttle on the 90hp moves in the opposite direction then what my 50hp did. Is there a way I can make a adjustment in the control box to change the direction of the cable or do I need a new control box? Thanks in advance for any answers to my question.

The throttles should be the same for both. Both motors require the throttle cable to pull the throttle lever on the motor. I

If your's move in opposite directions, that is a new one to me. Could it be that you are mistaking the shift cable for the throttle cable?

Mike

Thanks Hondadude for your reply....I did review the hookups and I do have them hooked up correctly (I followed the cables that hook up to the bracket that my throttle cable hooks to and they go to the carbs on the opposite side of the motor). My motor is a 2002 Honda 90hp. Is there a chance that there was a conversion kit installed on this motor to accommodate a different control box that pushes rather then pulls the throttle cables?

There is no conversion kit to my knowledge. Someone may have reversed the cables going from the throttle lever at the motor to the carburetors on the otherside. If they did, I am not sure how or if it would work.

All i can say is all of the 90's that I have seen since they came out in 1995/1996 require the throttle cable from the shift box at the helm to pull. So, I would get the engine set up correctly first.

Also, when you get it sorted out, there are two holes in the throttle lever on the engine (where you will connect the cable). You insert the cable connector into the inner hole....not the hole at the end of the lever.

Mike

Thanks Mike for the info.....after talking with the marina that I purchased it from, they noticed that when they removed the cables to clean the carbs there mechanic hooked up the cables wrong causing the throttle to be pushed vs pulled. Thanks again for your help.

Back