Logo

Tubing from carb to fuel pump disconnected 140 Merc

There is a plastic tube attached to the base of the carburetor that looks like it should be connected to the fuel pump but appears to be a little short. The "certified factory trained" mechanics at the marina said it doesn't matter much. These guys as some of you already know from my previous posts have been already found guilty of incompetence and I suspect this may be another example of it. :mad:

Yep, they don't have a clue. that line is a "tell-tale" should the diaphragm rupture in the mechanical fuel pump.it directs the gas into the carb instead of the bilge. its not used/needed with electric fuel pumps

There is a plastic tube attached to the base of the carburetor that looks like it should be connected to the fuel pump but appears to be a little short. The "certified factory trained" mechanics at the marina said it doesn't matter much. These guys as some of you already know from my previous posts have been already found guilty of incompetence and I suspect this may be another example of it. :mad:

You need to replace that and attach it to the fuel pump Immediately - do not run the engine without it. It is a safety device - if the fuel pump diaphragm fails the tube carries the fuel overflow to the carburetor instead of spewing it into the engine compartment. In that case the slightest spark will cause the boat to explode. Again, DO NOT start the engine without it. Also, use a clear hose so you can see if there is gas in it.

The pump is mechanical and it was just replaced (supposedly NEW...at $378). Now my next question: why would they spray paint all black a brand new fuel pump, even the see through glass portion? I'm even afraid they may have clogged the orifice that the tube is supposed to be connected to.

the fuel pump does not cost that much, does not come with a site bowl anymore, the vent hole for the pump is on the bottom.
post some pics using photbucket.com.its free

UntitledF1_zpsb806a778.jpg

UntitledF_zps5a9c2aac.jpg

Thanks Doc...looks like the low volume type. But the fitting was painted , too. Can I check via the serial number if pump is new? I just don't trust them anymore. Why they failed to put in a new tube that fit is beyond me.

Back