Logo

2004 mariner 60hp 2 stroke blowing cdm

rodey

Contributing Member
need help with this if anyone has any ideas,
2004 mariner 60hp 2 stroke,
get it started most times dont idle great , seems very rough, put into forward gets upto wot and runs fine for about 15 mins or so , then i stop to idle and same thing idles rough and cuts out,
start back up again and engine only runs on 2 cylinders,
came in put spark testers on the plug and bottom cdm has no spark,
put another cdm on and it runs , so back out the next evening and the very same thing happens,
bottom cdm again,
this engine hasnt run right inthe last 2 years had it with one guy, he put new stator and triger ang 3 new cdms, but the same thing happend,
has anyone any idea what could be going wrong,
thanks

Disconnect the black/yellow kill wire(if the motor has it) from the cdms...this wire should never under any circumstances have any voltage on it...not even in the millivolts..it should go from a float with the lanyard in place to ground with the lanyard pulled ...

Disconnect the black/yellow kill wire(if the motor has it) from the cdms...this wire should never under any circumstances have any voltage on it...not even in the millivolts..it should go from a float with the lanyard in place to ground with the lanyard pulled ...

cheers for replying.
ya iv tried the sop circut thats all fine,
only other 2 things left on it are the regulator and rev limiter
i did but a volt mitre on the battery before while running and the highest it went when full trottle was 14.6 volts so think that may be ok.
thanks

Replace #1 cdm as it can be working fine but be bad and effect #2 and#3 cylinder

iv already replaced the 3 cdms but it still blew one of them.
the first time it blew one i noticed the revs were way over the limit 6600 revs so when i changed it before i went back out i put a different prop on and that brought the revs down to 5000 revs but blew another coil after 20 mins or so, went fine at 500 revs then we stopped and went to take off again the coil broke down,
no 1 cdm has a real good spark. no 2 cdm spark is there although abit weak , no3 cdm has no spark,
i have another cdm but im afraid to go again with it as i seem to be blowing them every time,
its doing my head in,

the stop circuit could be good when you checked it but still may shorting intermittently with the vibration of running and operating the controls..i think i would at a minimum pull the start switch and check for loose connections etc...inspect the wiring while there and make sure nothing is rubbing etc...
was the motor really revving up to 6600 or was it a bad reading?the regulator output is suspect if it was just a bad reading...
i would check for good grounds both on the battery post and on the engine....
has any electrical additions or changes been made to the boat recently?if so disconnect any add ons that have been made.
inspect the wiring on the output of the cdms..replace the plugs..coils?

the stop circuit could be good when you checked it but still may shorting intermittently with the vibration of running and operating the controls..i think i would at a minimum pull the start switch and check for loose connections etc...inspect the wiring while there and make sure nothing is rubbing etc...
was the motor really revving up to 6600 or was it a bad reading?the regulator output is suspect if it was just a bad reading...
i would check for good grounds both on the battery post and on the engine....
has any electrical additions or changes been made to the boat recently?if so disconnect any add ons that have been made.
inspect the wiring on the output of the cdms..replace the plugs..coils?

thanks for ur input.
iv clean and checked all grounds,
noting was changed with the battery , it only powers the engine alone , have another for everything else,
prity sure the revs were write as the engine did sound to be reving hard, always has since i got it and put it on this boat,
can i disconnect the regulator and rev limiter and run the engine that way id know if its anything to do with them or not, after that it has to be a loom problem as everything else has been changed,
thanks once again

lets back off a tad....when you put a good cdm on the motor will it still idle rough?...i am talking before you take it out and run it...do a spark test and see if the spark will jump 7/16 with a good snap...the problem may be on the engine before you take it out and blow another cdm...

Last edited:
lets back off a tad....when you put a good cdm on the motor will it still idle rough?...i am talking before you take it out and run it...do a spark test and see if the spark will jump 7/16 with a good snap...the problem may be on the engine before you take it out and blow another cdm...

ya when i put a cdm on it it idles but to me seems quite rough,
had it with a merc dealer a while back and he changed the cdm and done a spark test,
seemed to idle ok but that didnt seem to last long run it a few times here at home in a barrel ,
when put in gear its hard to keep idle most times itll conk out,
timing is spot on and everything else seems write,

Disconnect the rev limiter if equipped as thats only other thing other than defective cdm that will short one out...

agree on disconnect the rev limiter...the reason i say fix the idle problem is the old rule of fixing what you see broke first..especially if you are eating up parts in a situation like this...

thanks lads,
ill try disconnecting the rev limiter and see what happens,
iv only one more cdm left so after that i dont know what ill do,
can i also disconnect the regulator while trying it out on the water,
that way if things improve i could reconnect it then id know itll be the limiter,
thanks again

well i tried the rev limiter,
still no difference,
still has the hesitant idle, and have to have it out of gear revs at about 1250 to get it to stay running,
sounds like a miss
only thing is i didnt run it for as long this time so the coil is still ok,
at a total loss with it now,

Back