Logo

ignition switch housing

foulbuster

1977 Evinrude, I replaced the ignition switch. How do you hold the spring/ball back into the cubby hole to put the throttle housing back together? The spring pushes the ball all the way against the bushing.

Spring and Ball.JPGHousing.JPGI have the cover off where the spring is located. the spring and ball have to go back inside that area to slip the other part over the bushing that the ball is currently push against.

If I remember right you have to have the plate that the ball rubs on assembled on the control half. Then you put in the ball and then the spring and put the cap over it to keep it in place. Hope this helps.

Boobie is exactly right. As for how to do it... Make sure the gear teeth on the two sides mesh correctly as you slide the half in the 2nd pic down onto the shaft. Put the ball into the housing against one of the detents, then one end of the spring against the ball. Then I use a wide flathead screwdriver, hold it low on the shank and pull against the end of the spring until you can push it into the housing, install plate and screw. Takes a little practice but once you figure out how to hold the unit with one hand, the screwdriver in the other, and push the spring down with your third hand it really isn't that hard

Sounds like the control box wasn't dismantled properly as that problem shouldn't have been encountered.

Perhaps the control handle wasn't removed first which forced the inner cam to pull out of position? Normally the handle (throttle/shift) would be removed first (in neutral position) which would allow the sides of the control box to be separated, leaving the inner cam in place.

I finally figured out that the outside part of housing can come apart. so, once i took the gear part from the outside cover, it was easy. Thank you for responding.

I did not know how to take off the gear part from the inside outside cover. So, Drilled a hole on the inside cover, put a drill bit in it to hold the spring. I put it together. Then I checked to see if the ball stayed in place. It didn't. So, as I was pulling it apart, I notice the gear was starting to pull away from the outside cover. So, I continued to pull the gear off and after that it was easy. duh. Thanks for everyone's input.

Back