Logo

Starter or Solenoid Clicks Once When Turning Key

90smokercraft

Hello - I have a 1990 4.3 Liter Mercruiser that won't start. When I turn the key I hear 1 click. If I turn the key a couple times quickly I can get the starter to crank, but the boat still won't start. I just got the boat out of storage so it is the 1st time I've tried to get it started this year. I think I might have a couple issues but would like to start with the intermittent click. I have a new battery with a new positive terminal because it used to have a two piece positive terminal that could be disconnected by unscrewing a knob. Last year I would click and I would just unscrew the positive terminal and then reattach and then the starter would crank when I turned the key. I told my mechanic about it and he suggested getting a new fixed terminal, but it still clicks.

Hello - I have a 1990 4.3 Liter Mercruiser that won't start. When I turn the key I hear 1 click. If I turn the key a couple times quickly I can get the starter to crank, but the boat still won't start. I just got the boat out of storage so it is the 1st time I've tried to get it started this year. I think I might have a couple issues but would like to start with the intermittent click. I have a new battery with a new positive terminal because it used to have a two piece positive terminal that could be disconnected by unscrewing a knob. Last year I would click and I would just unscrew the positive terminal and then reattach and then the starter would crank when I turned the key. I told my mechanic about it and he suggested getting a new fixed terminal, but it still clicks.

Ayuh,.... You have dirty corroded wirin' connections,....

Take 'em apart, sand clean to Shiny metal Clean, 'n reinstall,.....

Hello - ... I have a new battery with a new positive terminal because it used to have a two piece positive terminal that could be disconnected by unscrewing a knob.

Are these "MARINE" batteries??? When I had my boat re-engined some years ago, mechanic converted the battery cables to use the screw post ( normally thumbscrew) terminals instead of the "post" terminals. I've found that using the screw post terminals/thumbscrews for the main (cranking) circuit to be, over the years, troublesome. Am converting both batteries to use the post terminals, which on previous boats over 40 years using the anti corrode felt washers, has been utterly reliable ( assuming an annual once over prior to launch with a battery terminal cleaning tool). The screw terminal connections tend to loosten up from vibration and minor shifting of the battery relative to the heavy battery cable in rough waters... especially if the battery is mounted on the port side of the engine with the cables running toward starboard. I will only use the screw posts for connection to the bilge pump (s).

Last edited:
The battery is an automotive battery with 800+ cold cranking amps. It was the same exact type of battery that was in the boat with I bought it used 3 years ago, so when it went dead I purchase that same one. It has a post type terminal.

Ayuh,.... You have dirty corroded wirin' connections,....

Take 'em apart, sand clean to Shiny metal Clean, 'n reinstall,.....

Please note that Bondo uses the plural of connection. If you haven't done so, make the ground connection at the battery and at the engine shiny metal.

Thanks...i'll do that. The ground at the battery is the one terminal connector I hadn't changed. It also has multiple other wires connected to the neg post on the battery as well. They are all connected to the one bolt that also tightens the terminal connector to the neg battery post. Is that a good way to do it or should I buy a replacement terminal connector that has the the two bolts on it. I added a picture of the Neg terminal connector. I have replaced the yellow connector on the black wire however and used a cleaner nut, but the connection is the same.

Back