Logo

Mercury 115 0D269615

trynhooker

Regular Contributor
Hey guys, got a call today to troubleshoot lack of rpms and no idle etc.

I connected my timing light to all 4 wires and they all spark.
I checked the stator and trigger voltages - all great.
I checked the switchbox voltages to the 4 coils - all great.
I checked grounds and removed and tightened all the ground connections on the coils and the switchbox.
When I checked the voltages at the 4 green and green stripped wires, one to each coil, #1 showed good voltage, but here's what I've never seen before;

coils #2 #3 and #4, when I connected my DVA meter, they would cause my meter to spas out with random voltages (kinda going crazy) and then the screen would actually go off and I would have to turn the meter off and on again. Sometimes the meter would beep but with the display going out I couldn't see if there was a indicator on the meter display. This is a brand new meter as well, and it worked as it suppose to on everything else.

The CDI troubleshooting guide shows to swap the red and red/white, the blue and blue/white connections. It states if the problem moves to the other 2 coils the stator is bad. If problem remains on the same coils, the switchbox is bad.

I do these voltage tests ALL THE TIME and have never seen.

I am going with a bad switchbox, but would like to know if anyone has seen this problem before with extremely high voltages at the switchbox wire to the coil?

Surprised no one has experienced this issue.
Was running this thru my head some more, and think maybe the coils are causing the problems.

This was my thought process: say #2 coil green wire at switchbox reads 180v and the other end of that same wire reads (voltages which is turning my meter off), it couldn't be from the switchbox.
Instead, it seems to me the coil is not taking that voltage and sending it thru the coil to the plug wire causing that voltage to buildup.

I sent an email to CDI a min ago to see if they could offer any assistance.

Confirmed with 2 CDI techs this morning. The issue seems to lie with the 3 coils, not with the switchbox.
Waiting on customer to get new coils and we'll proceed and post results later on.

My customer replaced all 4 coils. I went down today, still won't idle in gear. I found some debris in the fuel pump, cleaned it out and it helped the idle steady out. It still runs lean as when you press the key in the engine speeds up. Suggested to my customer to clean all 4 carbs out.

Tested power to the new coils, again, 2, 3, 4 and sometimes 1 still shuts my meter off?
When I got home I tested my engine coils and the meter never went bezerk as it's been doing on his boat.

Called CDI again and will wait for the guy to call me tomorrow. There are 3 of us who suspected a problem with the coils.

Something very weird going on with the switchbox and all this makes no sense esp when all the voltages are right except where they go to 3 of the 4 coils.

I have a new Klein MM1000 and a 2 different dva adapters.
I've been doing these tests for going on 7 years now with the same adapter and have never had one actually make my meter go haywire and turn off!
And ike I mentioned on my last post, I came home last night and went straight to my motor and my meter tested fine on my Yamaha 150 on different coils.

I'm suspecting some scr's/diodes in the switchbox are bad causing voltages to crossover inside and may be spiking my meter (hence turning it off). Sometimes the meter will go blank and I hear a steady tone and sometimes a beeping tone.

I'm gonna ask Klein what the beeps are for.

Back