Logo

twin 2005 225hp Honda

kmad516

I am looking to purchase a boat with 2005 Honda 225's with 250 hours. Was looking for some feedack on the motors and see if there are any major problems with them. Thank you in advance for any information.

Honda 200's and 225's prior to about the middle of 2007 had a few major issues.

First and foremost, under certain circumstances the original exhaust tubes would allow a water incursion that would regularly blow the HO2 sensor, and sometimes allow a water incursion into #6 cylinder. Prior to purchase, make sure that Honda Service Bulleting #56 has been performed, which is the replacement of the exhaust tubes with a redesigned one. If in doubt, record the model number and serial number and call Honda Customer Service in Atlanta to see if the change out was made under warranty. Honda Customer Service Customer Service number is 770-497-6400.

The second major issue is that the mid-shaft bearing/bushing (on the drive shaft from the engine to the lower unit) on the earlier 200/225's would sometimes fail causing it to spin, distort, and in some cases eat through the cowling. This bushing can be easily inspected when you drop the lower unit to service or replace the water pump. Replacement is a bit more complicated but is well documented on this forum.

Otherwise, have a professional check the compression, do a thorough on-water test, including trolling speeds through wide open throttle (WOT), making sure you have a consistent throttle speed at every level - i.e. no surging or falling off RPM's. The 225 will sometimes vary rpm's in the 4200 to 4600 rpm range by about +/- 100 or so. This is an anomaly with the V-TEC (variable timing) system and is considered normal.

After running the engines for awhile, check the lower units oil to make sure it is not "milky". Pull off the lower unit filler screw and inspect it for metal particles. A small amount of talcum powder sized metal is normal.

If you are serious about buying this boat, invest another $116 or so in the Helm Official Shop Manual. It gives detailed maintenance and service procedures, and it has very detailed diagnostics. It will save you a bunch of money in the long run.

Also, all of these modern, large four-stroke outboards require rigorous maintenance to keep them running efficiently and well. They are great engines. I have 1600 hours on my 2007 225, and other folks on this forum have over 2500 hours. The CG would regularly put 5000 hours or more on these engines. The maintenance schedule is in the operators manual which can be download free from the Honda Marine website

Back