Logo

1996 Mariner 115 HP Low Oil Warning Alarm

mbenedum

Hello, I have a 1996 Mariner 115HP Outboard... The other weekend we were heading into the dock when a loud beeping sound went off. I immediately knew it was my low oil indicator... I cut the engine and filled up the oil reservoir as it was low... I started the engine back up and the alarm still sounds... I have tried disconnecting battery thinking that may reset alarm.. I have banged the outside of the tank and motor around a bit hoping the float inside of the tank is stuck and needs jarred loose... Before replacing the tank I was wondering if there are any suggestions on what else I might try to resolve the beeping sound... Thank you in advance!!

Most likely a toasted tank sensor - it's just a magnetic float that "contacts" the sensor when the oil is low, completing the circuit and "beep". The magnet can break/separate from the float and stays stuck to the sensor.

An expensive replacement, in my opinion, for something that does nothing more than tell you the oil level in the tank - it doesn't tell you if the oil injection is working.

Personally I would disconnect the bullet connectors at the bottom of the tank and make sure I topped up the oil before each outing. A tank of oil will last about 5 hours running at full throttle. So unless you have a 50 or 60 gallon fuel tank you would run out of gas before you run out of a full tank of oil.

Thank you Sir!!! I agree 100% and will look for the bullet connectors at the bottom of the oil tank.. I will also keep a close eye on the oil level to make sure it in fact is being mixed with the gas and that I continue to top off before each time I put the boat in the water.. Thanks Again!!

Most likely a toasted tank sensor - it's just a magnetic float that "contacts" the sensor when the oil is low, completing the circuit and "beep". The magnet can break/separate from the float and stays stuck to the sensor.

An expensive replacement, in my opinion, for something that does nothing more than tell you the oil level in the tank - it doesn't tell you if the oil injection is working.

Personally I would disconnect the bullet connectors at the bottom of the tank and make sure I topped up the oil before each outing. A tank of oil will last about 5 hours running at full throttle. So unless you have a 50 or 60 gallon fuel tank you would run out of gas before you run out of a full tank of oil.

Back