Logo

New Vortec 4,3 engine with carburator - regulate the pressurer on the electric fuel pump

Garpen61

New Vortec engine in my Bayliner 2052 1991.

I have to add an electrical fuel pump to my new motor. It works fine, sounds a bit loud i think.

First start up I did as i used to do, turn the ignition on pump a couple times and turn the starter. It didn't start as quick as i believed and smoked and smelled unburned fuel.

Next time I just turned the key and it started easier and didn't smoked.

My conclusion is that it gets to much fuel on low rpm.

My question, shouldn't there be a regulator to set the fuel pressure? the pump pumping at the same speed all the time, where does the not needed fuel go?

DUDE

Dont start a new topic............

keep your questions with your original topic.......
It waists everyone time and it gets confusing............

Also there is no way you could install a electric fuel pump correctly on a motor that had a mechancial one..........with out modifying the wiring harness.
The sensors and wires were not there.......

Come clean on what was done................way to many unanswered questions.............seems very weird here.........

Last edited:
Ok kghost,

Its 2 different questions and i believed it would be better to separate them, i´m sorry, will not happened again.

One is about oil pressure and the and the other about gas pressure

I´m sorry if I´m unclear, English is not my first language...

I have installed a new motor without mechanical pump
I have installed an electrical pump
I have a motor with carburetor

Is there any need of a regulator for the fuel pressure?

no, the electric pump is internally set to supply the correct volume and pressure. that pump is correct with the switch.

UntitledWaa_zps3c251e0b.jpg
#5 is the pressure switch and #6 is the fuel pump. what is your language?

I have 5.7L carbed engine w/electric fuel pump. On very cold starts, i.e., engine unused for a week or so, I open the throttle slightly, crank the engine in bursts of 3 to 5 seconds until I see the oil pressure gauge show some pressure. Then I crank once more. Then I "pump" the throttle ONCE. Then I set throttle to very slightly open and it usually starts on the next crank cycle. Multiple pumps after fuel pump fills the carb bowl dumps excess fuel into engine, hence smoke @ start.

Do you have the instructions to the new pump?
Or a link to the instructions?
It seems to have three wires.

One must be ground, one most likley is for when in normal operation and the other may be for when cranking engine over (starting).

So if you can confirm this and let us know more about your engine that would be better.

Your original motor may had had a mechanical fuel pump so the correct wires may not be present in your wire harness.

The schematic Boat DR posted is what it should look like if it were factory original.

If you can follow that schematic all you have to do is make your fuel pump wiring the same. Try to use the correct wire colors so it will allow for easy trouble shooting by someone else.

I opened a photobucket account to upload larger pic than thru the advanced section here......I could never get em large enough to see very well

I could not delete my previous posts...........lol

I expanded the schematic you included..........It appears he has upgraded things and really needs a manual with a good wire schematic .

If his original motor was wired for a electric pump he would not be posting here.......

Back