Logo

parts availability

utfyrfytr

Are most parts still available for a 1971 65hp merc? I looked for a model# and this is all I could find,
Panther 8342758. I don't know if that is a serial # or not. Thanks

Thanks Jeff. I was thinking I had read somewhere a few days ago that parts were getting hard to find and expensive for anything built before the 80's.

That "depends" - some models have good availability, others, even newer, are a nightmare.

A good "general rule of thumb" is 86 or newer is well supported, but there are always exceptions.

Given the hundreds (or thousands) of used outboards out there, if you are in the market for one, would a 71 model be a "first choice" - probably not - but if you have one you are trying to keep running that changes the perspective.

They(Merc) only made that motor 8 years and most hard parts you will find are used. Carb kits, electrical,fuel pumps,seal kits,impeller are easy finds,new internal parts are hard to find .....

Since I refuse to work on Mercs newer that late '80s, I can assure you that parts for practically any old Merc is available out there if you know where to look. Interestingly, most of the parts you need to replace ARE readily available, especially from this site (that sells a lot of stuff for reasonable prices; and, no, I don't get any kickbacks!)

Those are very durable, hard working motors the northwest logging guys loved! They used them to death moving log flows, getting amazing hours of use out of them.

Jeff

Thanks for the reassurance Jeff. I went ahead and purchased the boat with the 71 motor. It seems to run pretty well even though it hasn't been maintained the last couple of years. It hasn't been used much in that period of time either. The boat is a 66 and still in the original family. I bought it from a grandson of the original owner. Even the seats are original. It also came with a ten year old 4hp Merc trolling motor that has had light use. I picked up the package for 1K so I'm not out a fortune, but I don't want to put a fortune into it either. I'll keep your info handy in case I have trouble with parts. Thanks again.

If you want it to live install a tach and keep it at/below 5000rpm as operating range is 4800-5300 rpm max,after this they have a tendency to come apart do to little rods and stroke.

Thanks for the information. I am picking it up tomorrow and then I will have all of the serial # info that I need and I can start working on things.

Back